Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another LF begginer :D

Re: Another LF begginer :D

Welcome, Michael! Tasmania is a place I'd like to take my LF. That should be a great trip! I have only been to Sydney and north and only briefly. One other possibility is a 120 roll back for the 4x5. For the weight of the rollback, you get a medium format camera with movements as well as a 4x5! I used this set-up up north near Darwin many many years ago.

And welcome Tom! Also many years ago I was using a Turner Reich convertible with no front element (for a focal length of 28"). I was photographing the lunar eclispe in the upper foothills of the Sierras Mtns (California) ...one sheet of 5x7 film with an exposure every 10 minutes. Ended up with one long streak after the 5th exposure -- the shutter in the damp and cold had not closed...discovered as I tried to take the 6th exposure ten minutes later.

One reason I have heard why a convertible is not as sharp with one element removed is that the lens loses some of its ability to focus all the colors on the same plane -- especially blue. So a yellow filter is suggested to reduce the blue light for sharper images. And I suppose if a yellow filter could be screwed in where the front element usually goes, that would protect the shutter from the elements as well.

Vaughn

Welcome from Geelong. There are quite a few Lf users in the Melbourne area, some are LFF members and some are on APUG. We do have meet ups avery so often so it would be worth your wwhile to check the other site for some details. Soon you'll be wanting an 8x10, because we all know, bigger is better.
    Mke

I like the idea of a roll film back, but I already have a gw690 that I quite like playing with (huge camera, but really light for it's size ! My Canon AE-1 feels heavy in comparison !).

Still practising Been burning through that Shanghai film (the 4x5 is sooooooo much nicer than their 120 film), but without a scanner or a 4x5 enlarger (yet !), I'm still only judging by the negative, which is kinda tricky, but I think I'm getting there.

Vanbar were selling expired ektachrome that comes with free processing, so I plan to take that out somewhere over the christmas "long weekend". Probably Cape Shanck. Kinda nice down there

Bit of a bump

Was down at Cape Shanck (coastal area, surf beach, lots of cliff faces) over the weekend, to "practice".

The conditions were crazy ! Very windy, ultra paranoid about anything being blown away, sand scuffing things up, spray from the ocean and the odd drop of rain. But I persevered, and took 8 slide shots, and 6 black and whites.

When I took my last black and white (the last shot of the day), I went to put on my red filter, then picked up my light meter to dial in 3 stops of compensation. I was horrified to find out that it was already set as such (did some b&w the day before), hence all my shots had been 3 stops over exposed !!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAARRRGHH!!!!!

... the shots are yet to be developed, hopefully there's something salvageable in them !

As long as you let Vanbars know that you've shot at the wrong speed, they should be able to compensate for you. I've done it before and still got usable trannies. I'm currently shooting 8x10 Velvia and Efke B & W. One's 50 ISO and the other's 25. and yes I did shoot some of the Efke at 50. Felt like a right silly bugger. Nice area though, Cape Shanck.
    Mike