Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another LF begginer :D

Another LF begginer :D

Hey all !

My name's Michael, from Melbourne, Australia, and I'm new to large format photography (isn't this how AA meetings start ?).

I was always into 35mm (colour slide), but once I get into black and white, I felt a whole world open up, so started playing with medium format, and now large format. All the different formats offer so many options, that it's hard to pick and chose, and just wish it were easy to carry a 35mm (plus lenses), and 6x9 rangefinder, and a 4x5 camera all the time ! (plus crap loads of film !)

I've literally just started out with 4x5, and am planning to spend as much time "practising" with some shanghai 4x5 sheet film (though I gotta admit, for it's price, it's pretty good !), and then start experimenting with other emulsions (still at the playing stage, which is loads of fun !)

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

Re: Another LF begginer :D

your addictions start now....thats the only difference with AA
    through a glass darkly...

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

oh and welcome to the club, enjoy your stay and dont feed the animals.

do every thing as cheap as possible, i made the mistake of doing every thing as expensive as possible, not advised.

i am a relative newbie but i have just come out of the other side of getting an 8x10 kit together and let me say, i am glad i did it now and not ten years ago when sinars where 10x the price.

There are people from all countries and all levels. i am always astonished as to who i meet and the work i see.

melbourne has way more people to connect with than Sydney, so far i have only found one here and he is busy with school.

any way good luck.
    through a glass darkly...

Welcome to group therapy! Don't feel alone...most of the folks around here are conversant in several formats! No problem carrying those cameras...get a mule...that even gives you somebody to talk to while looking for another good shot and he'll only talk back occassionally!

Thanks for the greets

I'm kinda planning a "road trip" autumn next year (march/april), so am planning to see Tasmania, various other bits of Australia, and kinda go ballistic with the photos (well, maybe with the smaller formats, going ballistic with 4x5 may end up being $$$)

Hi all
    I have also caught this malady,I went from 35mm to medium format and now large format,Have yet to make my first exposure in LF just gathering gear.on that note I do have a question I just bought a scheider-kreuznach 135to235mm my question if both elements are in the shutter what is it 135 or 235 and then wich element do you remove to get the other focal length.my wifes comment was oh no, more boxes from e-bay.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Hi, Tom, welcome to the forum!

When both elements are mounted on the lens, its focal length is 135mm. When the front element is removed, its focal length is 235mm. The f-scale on the shutter should have two sets of markings, one for 135mm and one for 235mm.

Thankyou,It does have both markings,But if you remove the front element when you are out side won't that subject the blades to possible damage from stuff gettibg in there or is it protected by a plano lense, thankyou

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Well, you have to be careful after you remove the front element. I've never had a new convertible, so I don't know if they originally came with a flat glass insert to protect the shutter. I wouldn't remove the front element in adverse condtions, myself.

Tom, I have had many convertible lenses over many years (still use 3 of them pretty regularly) and I've never seen one with a flat glass lens inside to protect the shutter blades. Just be careful with it after removing the front lens group. About those convertibles...you hear a lot of talk of their inferior quality when used converted. I've always thought that this is because a lot of folks neglect to re-focus after stopping the lens down to the taking aperature; these lenses often have a slight focus shift when stopped down when using only one group, making the image slightly out of focus if not re-focused. Yes, the image can be pretty dark when stopped down, but you will get used to that and to finding a highlight on which to re-focus. Have fun with your Symmar...they are fine lenses.