Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Film man becoming semi digital.

Re: Film man becoming semi digital.

I just noticed that you can get a 20" refurbished iMac with 2.6 GHz processor for $760 from the Apple store, with free shipping. Might be an even better buy than the 21.5" one for a bit over $1000.

That is a pretty darn nice machine for entry level image processing. I have the same processor in my MacBook Pro and it is pretty fast.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

I just noticed that you can get a 20" refurbished iMac with 2.6 GHz processor for $760 from the Apple store, with free shipping. Might be an even better buy than the 21.5" one for a bit over $1000.

That is a pretty darn nice machine for entry level image processing. I have the same processor in my MacBook Pro and it is pretty fast.

Sandy
    My recomondation to, because it is much much saver for the internet!!!!

Cheers Armin

Good Afternoon Photo Folks; I am researching your suggestions as fast as I can. As a result, I believe the Epson 3800 is probally the way to go for a printer. It has the B&W capability that I need and wnen the ink volume and cost is factored in it appears to be more economically viable. In addition it finally dawned on me that I could use the 3800 to produce panaramic photos, so I can use the larger size prints.

As for the computer, one of you was dead on; My Dell computer with the pentium 4 processor and maxed out on memory updates would not handle my Epson V700. In addition it seemed to be a never ending source of problems. Soooo... now I am researching for a compatible computer. I am leaning toward an apple computer as I research the thoughts you have given me. Keep your thoughts a coming as they are invaluble to me...without them I would be buying pigs in a polk!

I am still somewhat stymied by the digital lexicon of abbreviations. Do any of you know of a website that could enlighten me in this area?

Thanks Again and Enjoy Your Life Today...Grandpa RAY

Octogenarian

Ray,

Computer geeks seem to have their own jargon and lexicon.

Just when you think you understand what they are talking about, new technology emerges and the stuff they were saying yesterday is now obsolete.

My advice: don't waste your time and energy trying to interpret geek language.

Instead, spend it on learning how to utilize Photoshop to make beautiful inkjet prints.

I'm now making 16x20 B&W inkjet prints that surpass anything I was ever able to make with an enlarger in my darkroom, and I only know how to utilize a small number of the Photoshop tools.
    Last edited by Gem Singer; 10-Dec-2010 at 18:11.

Good Afternoon Photo Friends; OK...I think (therefor I am) going to do this: After carefully reading your thoughts on my situation, I am going to go with a refurbished iMAC computer and an Epson 3880 printer. And as odd as it seems to me, it only overides my budget by a couple of hundred bucks!

I also liked the suggestion that I scan the images at the same time I am photographing them. This makes sense to me now. It is so difficult to give up the old-ways in as much as all of my knowledge and experience is based there. Even so, logic must prevail. Also, I shall photograph them not with 35mm but with my rb67 outfit and 220 tmax film. Yes, I can compromise a bit...I'll reserve the 4X5 film for my original shooting.

I know you-all are hyped up on monitors, as well you should be. But for me it is not much of an option. I'll let you in on a little personal secret of mine. This may be shocking to you-all but I am partially color blind. I am missing 60% of my red color vision and 40 % of my green color vision.

Sooo...how did I operate a studio you may well ask? Well, I shot with color film but I did not process it; it was all out-sourced. When color was critcal. such as copying art work, I double shot it with color and B&W standard cards in one negative. That way my processors could bring the colors to standard and then print the negative without the standard cards. It worked, I never had a complaint. This may explain my love of black & white photography but only to a point. The point is that no photo medium can produce the detail and clarity of B&W film.

I would like to thank you-all for sharing your time and knowkledge with me. It was invaluable. I cannot pay you back but I sure can pass it on!!!! Oh, and don't worry, I'll be back to pick your brains again.

With Utmost Respect,
    Grandpa RAY

PS...So how did I get the nickname 'Grandpa' at a relative young age. Well I worked in a small factory and my granddaughter called and asked for "Grandpa." The forman called out over the pa speaker that a little girl named Kodi wanted to talk to her Grandpa. I have been Grandpa to everyone eversince.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Higgins View Post
    Good Afternoon Photo Friends; OK...I think (therefor I am) going to do this: After carefully reading your thoughts on my situation, I am going to go with a refurbished iMAC computer and an Epson 3880 printer. And as odd as it seems to me, it only overides my budget by a couple of hundred bucks!
    Congratulations. I think you made a very good choice ,both with the printer and the iMac.

Have fun.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon