Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on a Sekonic dual spot L778

Advice on a Sekonic dual spot L778

Is this meter a good purchase at 300.00 dollars? Used excellent condition on E bay?

Re: Advice on a Sekonic dual spot L778

I have an L758 which I love. Excellent meter.

AFAIK the L778 has selectable 1° and 3° spot sizes, while the L758 is just 1° fixed.

- Leigh

I have the 758 cine, which I bought for around $400 on eBay. It's awesome.

If you're looking for a dual spot (1º and 3º) rather than a spot (1º) and incident meter, the 778 is probably a good choice. I've never used one, but in my experience most sekonic meters are excellent. Search recently sold items to compare prices with what's normal.

If you want something more along the lines of the 558/758, spend a little more. My only complaint about the 758 is that it does too much (that and it can't do ultra-low light photography). If you want the gold standard spot meter, it's the pentax digital, which is comparably priced used. Seems nice. Very simple, very good for the zone system I think.

$300 is a good price.

I paid less for mine, but it was a sleeper auction anyhow, and it came from the UAE . Seeing that its the ONLY 1*/3* spot meter(that I'm aware of) that has a built-in hotshoe, it suited my needs perfectly. I use strobes from time to time with my view camera(or any camera in that matter), and being able to just pop the Pocketwizard onto the meter really is beneficial(no cords to lose). It also uses (2) AA batteries, which is convenient(and cheap to replace). It has become my go-to meter for everything from 35mm-->8x10. Great meter!

IMO, the only downside to the 778 meter is that is BIG. Well, big and bulky, compared to say a digital Pentax spotmeter. And the screen is a place to avoid knocking things against.

but I wouldn't sell mine unless forced too(and I'd REALLY need to be forced to )

if there's an option to make an offer, do that, otherwise, 300 smackers ain't a bad price anyhow.

-Dan

From a European perspective, that seems a very good price. I opted for the less fully featured 558 for the benefit of having incident readings also. I don't use the flash capabilities at all, but many would find them essential. I believe the 758 series has additional features for calibrating individual digital camera sensors etc, which was not what what I was looking for.

If you want really low light capability in a spot meter, then you're stuck with a classic Gossen Profisix SBC with one of the multi-spot attachment heads (eg, the Profi-Spot with 1', 5' and 10' degree readings). Beware, these combos are HUGE, like a 1980's mobile phone! The 558 or 758 in comparison makes a very nice package.

I've had a great love affair with my Dual Spot F, but I'm having to liquidate to finance my first film. My Sekonic Dual Spot is in perfect condition. Along with all of my other still equipment and darkroom, I'm about to post it for sale on Craigslist for $250.00.

Rick Denny
    rickdenny@dctexas.net

jadphoto

I find the 778 to be one of the most zone system enabled meters I have ever owned. The price you've been quoted sounds reasonable, depending on condition of course. Another advantage of the 778 is that it uses a readily available AA battery unlike many older spot meters. It also seems a less prone to lens flare than others I've used.

If you use the zone system be sure and check the manual for the method of setting the meter for zone system application(s). It's coupled to the memory feature and makes zone placement and exposure determination very quick and easy, and it allows you to customize the zone values as you prefer.

Really a cool meter, albeit a bit bulky. Actually, it's just a tad bigger than the other Sekonic spot meters (L-608/558 et al).

JD

Exactly Joe; everything you wrote is the reason I purchased mine, which as I said, is in perfect, like new condition. My only point of disagreement is with the notion that it's bulky. Manly, substantial, not delicate, is how I would discribe it.

And, let us not miss the point that I am selling my Dual Spot for less than it can be found anywhere else. $250.

I'm moving on to directing film, and have to liquidate my beloved still equipment to aid in financing my first.

Rick Denny
    seerasylum@gmail.com

jadphoto

Someone should grab Rick D's 778...that's a hell of a price! Is the OP listening?????

JD

Forgive my ignorance, but I have to ask. Two questions.

What is an OP?

And is it forbidden to include here that I'm also selling off my complete darkroom?