Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A reminder about protecting your gear.

A reminder about protecting your gear.

This past Saturday I had gone out early to use my 4x5 gear to do some images of some buildings sceduled for demolition in my area. After returning I removed my 4x5 case with two cameras and usual gear as well as my 35mm Nikon gear in its b ag. I left the objects sitting behind my car but in my open garage. I live in a very nice neighborhood, but when I went out 30 min later the gear was gone.

Miraculously, the police called me Wednesday morning to tell me the gear had bee n recovered at a pawnshop and identified becasue of hard to remove name and addr ess labeling on case, bag and cameras. Upon inspection the gear was not damaged , the perp desperate for cash traded $4000 worth of equipment for 50$.

Because the items were labeled, the police are able to match my theft with the p erson at the pawnshop and will be able prosecute if the thief is apprehended.

Moral: It doesn't matter if you are out of site of you gear in a supposed safe l ocation for even a few minutes, someone will probably see it as a soft target of opportunity. I just want to present this recent experience as a reminder to ma intain constant vigillence. I hope no one else here experiences the awful feeli ng that gear you had accumulated over the years is suddenly gone.

Been there and done that, although my equipment was never recovered. (worked out well because I have much better equipment now; never would have upgraded otherwise).

I now not only keep the vehicle locked, but I have a chain anchored to a seat support. Each case is locked to the chain as soon as I put it in the van. A little bit of extra work, but well worth the effort.

Glad you got your stuff back.

David

I remember some years ago seeing an advertisement for an impact punch that would put a tiny identifying mark on your valuables. I think the mark was customizable. It was meant to put anti-theft markings on things you didn't want to engrave by hand, etc. I have yet to find it again. If anyone has info on this, please post it as I think many would appreciate it (well, I would anyway).

You can call your local police dept. They have a program to deter thief and info regarding the tools...

Somethings to consider,....theives work in teams, they almost invariably 'case' a neighborhood for a period of time, before there is an attempt to hit your house.

These folks look like anybody else, they can be door to door salesman knocking on your door on the pretext of selling something, but really trying to find out when you are home, gardeners, cleaning crews, posting ad on your door, anybody.

They attempt to get an idea of your schedule, who is in your house, and what's in it. Unless you were hit by somebody who's on drugs(the most desparate and will hit a place on the spur of the moment), then somebody in your neighborhood is going to be hit again, you are going to have to be on the lookout since now they know you have things of value, you're not out of the woods.

You and your neighbors are going to have to be on the lookout, thieves don't go to the neighborhoods where there is nothing to steal, they go to nice neighborhoods, and it's been that way ever since the invention of the car.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

What kind of labels did you use? I like the lock and chain idea too. -Tony

I do It differently, I carry my stuff in haliburton cases and I have added a "u" bolt next to the handle . I then have a simple but strong combination lock that attaches securely in my car and in my home. Yea I know that all locks can be defeated but it does deter a smash and grab theft. If you have anything valuable then keep it in a locked hard case and secure the case from theft. The marks a cute but the real truth is that under 10 % of the stolen stuff is recovered.

You do the best you can, but professional thieves and career criminals can and will defeat any lock, any case.

Anything you come up with, there is somebody somewhere figuring how to take it, best thing you can do is have paid up insurance for replacement value of the gear, and thank God every day that you are not in your house when somebody desperate breaks in, the gear can be replaced.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

To answer the question on labels, they were made 15 years ago by a local sign shop from material used for clear decals. The only way to remove them after they have "cured" for awhile is to literally chip them away. I don't know if that is a property of the decal or 15 years of aging and sunlight.

A word of caution. Most insurance companies will not pay for theft loss if forced entry cannot be shown. For example, Art Wolf left all of his Nikon gear in his car while he had dinner in some diner. When he returned everything had been stolen. He was unable to collect on his lose because he forgot to lock his car and there was no signs of forced entry. He now owns all Canon stuff now, but at his own expense.

My insurance very clearly states that forced entry must visible before any claims will be honored.

So beware! Insurance companies will take your premiums, but they may not pay your claims.