Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A reminder about protecting your gear.

A reminder about protecting your gear.

I always throw an old blanket or a big towel on my gear if they are not in the trunk...it shade temptation and sun light... also keep a record of all serial numbers....

I have a neighbor who is a retired cop. He said that most theives are in and out in less than half an hour. In other words, they don't spend a lot of time on the actual crime, especially on residential areas.

One thing I try to do is make sure my gear is well hidden. If they can't find it, they can't steal it. Of course, sometimes it's hidden so well I can't even find it. Having all the gear readily visable, neatly packed and ready to go makes it easier for theives. I'm trying to make some storage places with false fronts, hidden comparments, etc. I remember a Shaft movie (or was it Dirty Harry?) where he keeps a piece in the freezer.

A gun safe may be a good idea too. Garage storage, with the gear buried under a mountain of low value junk, which we all probably have, is another option. Who keeps valuables in the garage under a pile of old newspapers and garden tools?

Just my take ...

My gear is protected against all theft but not accidental damage. Does anyone have insurance against that? I am a lot more worried about the tripod and camera falling over and smashing than about theft (since it's insured & replaceable). I was just shooting in windy West Texas, had the tripod set up in the street, and it blew over and the head hit the asphalt hard. Sturdy Bromwell, didn't break! But what if the Arca had been on there??? Less likely to blow over with the camera, but not impossible, plus I am sometimes clumsy.

Ideas? (I do put out orange traffic cones so at least a truck won't knock it over.)

Sandy,

You can insure just about anything for any occurance for a price. I always get a supplemental theft and damage rider for personal property if I travel overseas. I had to provide the insurance company with serial numbers, photographs of all gear appraisal of value and attest to the effect that I do not derive my sole income from the use of the gear. Professionals would have coverage as part of the business policy.

Insurance companies being what they are (they exist to make a profit), you would probably collect on one claim and after that the premiums would skyrocket or you would be discontinued as being considered "high risk". My experience over the years with insurance companies is they will find various ways to minimize any payout to you and use any payout as a justification to raise your premiums.

For home storage a large, heavy (800+ lbs) gun safe is the way to go, for cameras and other things. They cost about the same as a good lens, well worth the cost. For in a car a simple solution is a hard (pelican) case locked with a chain around the spare tire in the trunk, or seat support in the cabin of a car. I have an SUV from which I've removed the rear seats - leaves quite a few mounting holes (seat supports, seat belts) to which I can bolt security boxes.

South Africa has one of the highest crime rates in the World so I go out of my way to protect my equipment. Robbery, car theft and Hijacking are a way of life. I have caught many thieves but nothing is ever done. The Police in South Africa are useless. In the passed the Blacks have been brainwashed into believing that the White People got everything for FREE therefore they have a right to take it away. Nobody gave me anything for free I worked very hard for my equipment. I have a V W Kombi Microbus photography van with a Gun/Rifle Safe bolted through the floor under the long seat. I have four different locking nuts on the Microbus wheels. I have four different locking devices on the ignition. I also have an automatic petrol cut off in the event of a Hijack. When I go hiking in the Mountains or the Desert I take some of the distributor parts with me. I also have a Glock 9mm hand gun, which is with me always. It?s no use insuring your equipment in SA as many Insurance Company?s seldom pay out and rely on some very fine print clause to avoid paying. Its time to wake up and smell the roses. There are many Very Bad People out there who are watching your every move for the opportunity to steal your hard earned cameras. I have traveled the whole World and these Bad people are everywhere. Best Regards

Snowy Smith P.O. BOX 3021, DURBAN, South Africa, 4000. Tel 031-2018877

I see my e-mail address did not come out in the one above. <snowy1s@yahoo.com> Best Regards

Snowy Smith

I have tried one more time.