Page 7 of 405 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Nude

Re: Nude

jb7, you missed the trick! Your response/question is essentially what David continued in his second paragraph!

To objectify is to make something into a commodity of sorts, to be discussed or viewed, or bought and sold.

As David said:

Quote Originally Posted by mdm
    So in the end it is not always clear what is being objectivised. The emotional and aesthetic sensibility of the photographer, the thing in the picture, or the assumptions and preconceptions of the viewer.

My contribution

Made with my old toyo 45, fujinon 250 SF, delta 100/fx39 , and printed on foma 131 with a gold/selenium toning.

joseph

Ash, it's a loaded word to use in the context discussed here-
    although your definition covers some of it-

It could imply degradation or debasement too, depending on, as David mentioned, the assumptions and preconceptions of the viewer-
    so I don't think that one definition can catch all...

I notice that the majority of the nudes submitted here are outdoors nudes.
    I find that very difficult - I am more comfortable in a studio...

But there are exceptions...

This one was not planned. I wanted to make some still lifes in my garden - my girlfriend got jealoux, and wanted to be in the photo...

hence this..

Made as a Bromoil print

Makiflex 9x9cm neg.

Last edited by Emil Schildt; 12-Dec-2010 at 05:47. Reason: sp.

The title of thread is nude and therefore thats what we show but why are we only seeing female nudes does nobody out there take photos of male nudes?
    'Life is tough, but its tougher when you're stupid' John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by arca andy View Post
    The title of thread is nude and therefore thats what we show but why are we only seeing female nudes does nobody out there take photos of male nudes?
    It happens - but it is very, very difficult.....

I think objectifying is happening more when the model's gaze is distant or hidden, or we focus on "parts". But using the word objectifying is also art school code for applying feminist theory to art criticism. Do we really want to get into an endless thread with big words? Can't we keep it to a Sixth Grade reading level for clarity? I wish all art critics could ;-)

I don't see how the male form is any less beautiful than the female form? That most straight male photographers shoot young females (and most gay male photographers shoot young males) exposes that there is more than just an appreciation of form and beauty involved.

When I visited Sanders McNew, a photographer known for photographing female nudes, I volunteered to pose nude for my portrait. "Oh no!" "The men remain clothed...."

There are a lot of male nude photos out there, but I bet some of the members who shoot them are hesitant to post here because there would probably be some snide comments. I'm enough of a wiseass that I'd probably try to say something clever myself ;-/ They'd have to be thick skinned.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post

When I visited Sanders McNew, a photographer known for photographing female nudes, I volunteered to pose nude for my portrait. "Oh no!" "The men remain clothed...."
    i will do it frank......i know i have my magnifying lens around here somewhere.....
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

I guess what I mean is that if you are going to photograph nudes, of either gender, then the photos have to mean something. Yes its great to see young women with no clothes on but there has to be something more to the photograph that just that.
    That why I think Frank's photos are fantastic; nudes with a message?...But please your clothes on Frank
    'Life is tough, but its tougher when you're stupid' John Wayne

Posted this whole series in an older portrait thread, but what the heck...I like this one.
    Montana de Oro State Park, 4x5, 300m
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site