Page 57 of 405 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast

Thread: Nude

Re: Nude

David I'm finding it difficult to understand your recent posts. I think I may have missed a page on the thread earlier on.

That aside, it's interesting that none of the other picture threads have sparked these arguments. A clothed image on the portrait thread should have stirred more of a reaction than a naked body.

Brisbane, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by mdm View Post
    Mr Gandolfi's ask to be seen in the same way as an old master, he does this with the context of his print and the image contained by the print. Bobpin's exist in a political space. Many reference the December 1972 issue of Playboy, an impersonal fantasy. How many of you thought carefully how you want your photograph to be seen, what you want it to mean? Why you are making it? For most what we see is an expression of the photographers ego with no thought given to anything else. I am a god, look at this. I wield the camera and thats not all. Look at the reflection of me in those eyes. Or in Franks case, theese are the imprints left by my hands. Its all about you, but unconciously, which makes for unconscionably ugly photographs (and paintings).
    MDM, everything we do as human beings is an "expression of our ego", as you have so eloquently stated. Your criticism of the inspiration and motives of the forum participants reminds me of a fantasy of an unacknowledged, absinthe-sodden painter of the 19th century who denigrates his fellow artists who have attained the acknowledgement and success in their chosen craft which he fanatically yearns.

Your accomplished sight as a painter is clearly overshadowed by your lack of vision as a craftsman as is evidenced by your inability to ask objective questions rather than embark upon a tirade of subjective criticism.

The ego is not the same a the Self. All art is the expression of some artists true self, but not their ego. Why should I point at this one or that one, that would be unfair (except the painting). The point is to provoke posters to ask themselves what they are really getting out of it, to ask in all honesty, what are they doing and why. Thats all I have to contribute, I have no pictures to post.

Be nice if you put money where your mouth was and posted photos as well as critique. I'll critique anybody, but only because I'll accept and respond to anything thrown at me by an educated critic.

I guess there is dick-waving on any forum, I have to agree do the two part dance post ad criticize,,

If you are using a carefully constructed situation for your own gratification, perhaps at the deepest and most hidden level, not ok. Bad Karma. You will come back as a cockroach. It will ruin your swing, just ask Tiger.
    David,

Glad I found your name!

Art is the making and collection of fascinations that the human race seeks to give value to. Either it's discovered like a piece of driftwood or else it has to be created and then physically expressed like a ballet or photograph. The work must start in one's head! There the references are all our culture and experiences, all fantasies and conceits and mythologies. An imaginative mind can use any of this for creating the art that needs to be made.

There's no requirement that art should not express the inner demons or wish for gratification of the artist or else you'd reject Van Gogh or even Picasso. In fact, gratification of the artist might be the essential unique point in time in which a work gets to be completed and then start a life of its own. Before we have a great experience the artist had the satisfaction of the feelings and evoked emotions and thoughts that he/she hope would occur. At this exact point, the artist has given birth to the work! Then it's our turn to react to it. But always, it's the artist who must materialize his/her imagination to a physical from that gratifies his/her own person. Without that, there's no art!

So be it if I wake up as a cockroach! The last man that did that went on "Trial", but is recognized as one of the greatest literary artists of all time. So I would love to be in that category myself!

The closest I've gotten to that is to wake up with wasps in my hair!

Asher

The ego is not the same a the Self.
    David,

I say it does not matter a whit!

You cannot use magical concocted semantics of Freud that has been already put aside together with "spirits" and "humors" that invaded the body and caused disease! While his work might have had some pragmatic evaluation of neurotic middle class Jews of early 20th Century Vienna, it has, today, no biological basis for explaining the brain or its workings, given our advances since his time. Freud is to be remembered as a genius and pioneer attempting to find a scientific approach to mental illness and neurotic behavior. Now it's value has shrunk to the latter and in a short time will be as exotic as using olive oil for lamps in schools!

The ego = "self esteem" on all levels and is the core of our sense of self for all practical purposes. If we don't put this somehow in our pictures, then the photographer is the german or Japanese lens maker, not one of us who releases the shutter. We need out fingerprints blood, sweat and/semen on the picture, metaphorically speaking, at the very least.

Asher

I'm a plain old guy with a love of photography and have recently joined the Forum as a starter in 4x5. I check the different posts for meaningful information and am grateful for what I learn. However in this case, I am forced to say, that these recent posts are the most unadulterated crap I have ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Evans View Post
    I'm a plain old guy with a love of photography and have recently joined the Forum as a starter in 4x5. I check the different posts for meaningful information and am grateful for what I learn. However in this case, I am forced to say, that these recent posts are the most unadulterated crap I have ever read.
    Well, Tony,

If you just look at the pictures and skip the text that is too much for you, for sure you will get most of what you are capable of absorbing.

Asher

Asher,

The point that you and mdm and others are missing is that your opinions are just that... your opinions.

They're not universal truths. In fact they're not worth the electrons it took to write them.

And they're of no interest to anyone else.

- Leigh