Page 5 of 406 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Nude

Re: Nude

Love that shot by Dave, but I also really like that one by Vaughn, in fact I thought at first they might have been by the same person!

Another amazing wood-nymph Dave. I don't remeber seeing that one when I looked at your web-site. Is it new?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Aharonian View Post
    I've been known to shoot the occasional nude.....
    This is very nice, Dave!

Andrew

Awesome Dave! What a location and beautifully done. My humble contribution: Zone Vi 4x5, Caltar 215, Ilford FP4.

bvaugh4, nicely done! The hue suits the image well.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thanks for the kind words - they are much appreciated!!

I'm working through my backlog of sheet film from the summer. Here's another one shot in the Hoh Valley of Olympic National Park with Stephanie-Anne - a truly exceptional model.

Part of a project in the Olympic Rainforest. Finding great locations was easy. Mosquito control was difficult. The model was an advanced Aikido student and had amazing concentration despite the bugs.

Attachment 48221

Attachment 48222

Attachment 48220

I don't usually like the genre but you guys, especially David's body of work, do it so well... it really takes off from Wynn Bullock goes on fast-forward. Kudos.

As for myself, I associate nakedness with sexuality so most of my stuff isn't so pretty. I don't even like it, because deep down, I am a prude. I do it because I can, I want to challenge myself and make everyone uncomfortable and aware of it... but I did do a few prudy ones when I was starting out, in order to understand how to approach it. The first one is one of those shots, I would never show it in my portfolio anymore because it is just of a pretty girl and nothing more... it's Tiana Hunter, a popular art nude model who travels the world posing for "artistes". She already has a thousand shots like this, from a thousand photographers - nothing special with me, but it is pretty.

The others get creepier... the second is of Betcee May, a genuine Penthouse Pet, in a hooker motel in LA. Third is of Cat, one of the first Suicide Girls, it's the coldest, creepiest thing ever, makes my skin crawl. And the last is the infamous Meagan Sample, she had me do her first naked shot. Obviously she's done a few hundred since and if you see her now she makes a good cautionary tale for your daughters.

I'm glad I made myself do these, I probably don't have to do anymore. You learn a lot by pushing your boundaries and finding your limits. Oh and I really like blowing a hole in all the happy bullshit about the art and beauty of the nude female body coming from the typical middle-aged dweeb typing one-handed ;-)

If you find that you want to try naked woman photography, I recommend that you hire a professional like Tiana or Betcee and pay them well. They are the best teachers actually, very smart and saavy women. Cat got out of it and Meagan is busted.

[IMG][/IMG]

Meri
    Voigtlander PE
    13x18 Ilford Delta 100

Frank says, "Oh and I really like blowing a hole in all the happy bullshit about the art and beauty of the nude female body coming from the typical middle-aged dweeb typing one-handed ;-)"

Frank, How does your work blow a hole in anything? That's like saying, "I like how my gritty urban landscape work really blows a hole in that happy bullshit about the art and beauty of natural landscapes." I admire your work, and have always felt it was more closely aligned with portraiture than classic nudes. You have always reinforced this with your descriptions of your models....they are real people you mostly respect and you have shared your observations about their personalities and their motivations for modeling for you. Your work seems to mess with culture and social values. Classic nudes (for example David's fine work) play with tone, texture and form. It is more of a pure sensory exploration that is even better the more the viewer can suspend social attitudes about nudity. I don't think your work blows anything away (unless it is some "happy bullshit" in your own mind) any more than classic nudes are a threat to your treatment of sexuality and personality.