Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sims View Post
Frank, How does your work blow a hole in anything? That's like saying, "I like how my gritty urban landscape work really blows a hole in that happy bullshit about the art and beauty of natural landscapes."
If we think we objectify landscape excessively, then we are really missing how much we objectify nude subjects. Harry's photos are beautiful, but who are they? They could have been photos of a marble statue (a nicely done marble statue, I will admit).

Gritty urban scenes are not the proper analog. More appropriate would be beautiful natural scenes that still force you to reckon with some dominating force unconcerned with your well-being, rather than passively receiving the beauty without that sense of directed aggressive personality. And Frank's nudes do it without the dominatrix cliche, which is to me less compellingly disturbing and more just goofy. I find Frank's photos disturbing and also compelling.

Rick "who studied life drawing in college but could never relate to the models as people" Denney