Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Changing bags and fingerprints

Re: Changing bags and fingerprints

For the reason of hot weather almost always(In the summer mainly), I used to wash hands first with cold water/soap and load/unload films in the holders or in the processing tanks during night time.
    The control over temperature of the processing chemicals during night time is better.

I don't have the problem, but I can see where it could be an issue as I sense the heat buildup.

I rarely load more than 3 or 4 film holders at a time. I don't see more as being an issue.

My house is airconditioned and is usually at or below 70 deg. F

I've been loading film holders for a number a years and I'm very proficient at getting in and out.

I do wash and dry my hands.

I don't touch the film other than by the edges.

I use Kodak T max so I have paper wrapped film. I remove a fair amount of the excess paper so I don't fumble with the film removing it from the box/envelope. I leave the film envelope always oriented in the open box with the emulsion up while loading. If it comes otherwise flip the packet in the box. I do not have problems with the film fogging in the box after loading and storing.

I NEVER touch the emulsion so I can't get fingerprints.

Tents are for woosies <G>.....

bob

Quote Originally Posted by ki6mf View Post
    You could also wash your hands and that would help to remove oils from your fingers! Don't forget to dry with a clean lint free towel!!
    Good point, I always wash my hand first, generally with Dawn dish soap.

Roger

Octogenarian

Clean, dry hands, and keep bare arms outside of the bag or tent. They tend to perspire.

Insert arms into the bag or tent inside of the arm extensions with the elastic cuffs around wrists. Use as sleeves.

Work quickly in warm environments.

I always wear powder free nitrile gloves when handling sheet film, both in my changing bag and in the darkroom.

Drew Wiley

When I'm in the field (backpacking), there are a few extra things I carry along with the
    changing tent. There are always a few little disposable alcohol wipes, like the kind you
    can find at the pharmacy. Don't confuse these with hand sanitizer which has extra
    ingredients and might leave a residue. These weigh next to nothing and will remove oil
    from fingers. Another things are little powderless nitrile finger cots. These cover just the tips of the two or three fingers which actually handle the film, so take up a lot less
    space than gloves in the kit and are more tactile. I don't like vinyl because it contains
    plasticizers. Then I carry a few very thin small poly trashcan liners. There can be
    attached from the inside to the roof of the changing tent to make it completely dust
    free. Used liners can be used like a groundcloth. Then I add a small sponge to the kit
    and little brush or blower for cleaning the filmholders themselves. The film boxes for
    change-out have the edges slightly sanded so they won't shed any dust, then have
    been sprayed with clear acrylic lacquer which has been allowed to completely cure
    (several months) before accepting film. A little extra fuss, but I don't get dust spots
    or fingerprints at all.

My hands tend to get hot and this is what I do... Wash your hands in very, very cold water with some good hand dishwashing soap (it will remove ALL oil on your skin) before you start. If you find you start perspiring, get to a stopping point and get out of the bag and take a break, rewash your hands before starting again. I never have any issues when I work this way, and I find that taking a break after you are working in a tent/bag for a while is a good idea anyway.

When I was using a changing bag and had the same problem - my hands get claustrophobic quickly.

Then I remembered I had an old cardboard tube of TinkerToys. So I used them to make a cube about ten inches on each side, and put that in the changing bag.

It's big, round corner pieces, made of wood, were gentle on the changing bag, and it kept the changing bag off my hands while they were loading holders.

Somewhat later in my photography obsession I got a 'Shadowbox' and put my TinkerToys away.

Dry hads, dry film OK, wet hands wet film OK, if you mix these up, lots of marks.

Lynn