Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing bags and fingerprints

Changing bags and fingerprints

I was in a hurry before I went to NZ earlier, and my film pusher didn't have a proper changing tent. So I bought a Paterson changing bag. Looks OK, with tight double sealed holes for your arms and a velcro flap over the zipper. Enough room to load 4x5 holders.

However, after having my arms in there for about a minute, they start sweating.
    After one or two holders my hands are wet.

One or two of my negs from this trip has visible fingermarks - do you think that my sweaty hands in the changing bag could do that?

Re: Changing bags and fingerprints

how about wearing latex gloves?
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

or even cotton gloves.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Yes, that's quite common. I'm not sure that I would use fiber gloves when loading film, as that could leave fibers all over the film. Thin latex gloves sound good, as that would isolate the sweat. How about wiping your hands on a lens cleaning cloth?

My changing bag is of the "extra large size" kind. When I have to keep my hands in there longer, I put a stool in there. This helps the material from laying directly on my hands and reduces sweating. Something custom made with an aluminium frame would probably be more elegant (and leave more usable room).

Gloves it is then.

I always stuff a cardboard carton inside a changing bag to create clear working space for my hands. A beer carton with cut-outs to let my arms in works well. Even so loading 4x5 holders in a smallish bag is a harrowing experience well worth a cold one afterward.

Gloves don't work for me. I need the sensitivity of touch to handle film by its edges only.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Best thing I did was get a tent instead of a bag. Although I never thought to try a box or a foot stool to give me more working room. I have a hard time with gloves and handle the film be the edges instead. I also try and and load/unload my film holder when it's cool. Might be worth while to get up nice and early. I do use gloves in the darkroom and will occasionally unload film holder with gloves. I have some vinyl exam glove that are a size to small, it a bit of work to get them on, but with the tight fit I can handle the film with no problem.

Rambling a bit, so to summarize, try a snug pair of vinyl exam gloves, try to work when its cool, and if your are using the bag a lot think about getting a tent.

Roger

You could also wash your hands and that would help to remove oils from your fingers! Don't forget to dry with a clean lint free towel!!
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

I keep one hand gloved, and one ungloved. Different strokes for different... hands.

Putting some sort of frame in a changing bag always seemed like an obvious idea to me (especially given the prices of those tents), but alas, I have yet to actually do it. Explains why paying a premium is often the smarter thing.