I just posted Part II of the analysis:

Results Of: The Large Format Photography - 2010 Survey - Part II

Enjoy,

Barend Jan
    Barend Jan de Jong
    http://infocast.nl

42 is The Answer

Re: Large Format Photography - 2010 Survey

An enjoyable read Barend. If nothing else, it is nice to know that I am not totally alone as a 9x12 owner/user. To me the most interesting part is looking at the formats in use, more so than the films in use. FWIW When I used 4x5 twenty years ago, all I shot was Tri-X 320 sheets. Funny how time flies and the changes that come so quickly in the photographic world.
    I think this would be as interesting, but you would probably get a bigger sample, over at APUG.
    GRAFLEX | SINAR | VOIGTLANDER

Ehm, it is all nice, but some films you listed are not available in sheet format at all. Like Ilford Delta 400.

Also, for the future, some kind of graphical representation would be faster/easier to receive.
    Matus

Hi Matus,

Ad 1. Point taken, I will take Delta 400 out.

Ad 2. I guess it is an art to think through how best to display these data, and sure it can be improved.

Cheers,

BJ
    Barend Jan de Jong

The B&W film thing is pretty interesting. I know there are flaws from making broad conclusions from these results because of things already mentioned (in fact, I mentioned some of them), but it was six votes for TMY to one vote for TXP in 8x10. Yet, Kodak is keeping TXP and dumping TMY in 8x10. I guess they know something that this survey doesn't reflect. Or maybe they are going to dump it all in 8x10 anyway and just Ilford have it. I would not mind that if it would make Ilford last many, many more years.

Hello BJ.

Thanks for all the work on this project. Please consider doing it again in a year or two. As people become comfortable with sharing information there will be more participation and a larger sample. The simple tabulation is great. Any graphic addition would be really great.

Look into working this data into an article for View Camera Magazine.

Thanks.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Dear Drew,

I am pleased that you enjoy the work I am putting in it. Comments like yours are motivating.

With regard to doing this again in some time, I am certainly willing to consider. I expect that there are quite some changes around the corner, i.e. I am not convinced about the ability of Kodak and Fuji to pursue delivering film on the long run. I am curious learning how this story will evolve.

I do not consider it likely that I will work these data into an article for the View Camera Magazine. I've kind of lost sight of that magazine about 15 years ago, when international delivery to The Netherlands stopped. But if you are someone else is interested to take the initiative, I am very willing to help realizing it as a second author.

With kind regards,

Barend Jan
    Barend Jan de Jong

I think doing this survey again soon would get a bigger sampling, December is a busy time and I know I completely missed this. This thread has also heightened awareness of the survey as well. I'm surprised at the low sampling for Tri-X since I know a ton of LF'ers who use that but none spend time on the boards. It is my film of choice though with Acros a close second.

Dear all,

I just published the third blog on the survey results on my blog. This time on the types of workflow being used.

Results Of: The Large Format Photography - 2010 Survey - Part III

Enjoy,

Barend Jan

P.S. It is certainly my intention to repeat this survey. my idea was to do this again at the end of this year in December. Suggestions for questions and improvements to the survey and or analysis are appreciated.
    Barend Jan de Jong