Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Large Format Photography - 2010 Survey

Re: Large Format Photography - 2010 Survey

I just filled it out. It seems pretty innocuous, and more importantly-pretty lame, as far as surveys go......
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Holy sh!t page four of this forum post I found super funny.

Thanks for the laughs!
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

In honor & memory of Ben van Meerendonk, the Amsterdam-Rotterdam Street Photographer, and admiration for his son Ben, and daughter-in-law Coco, I completed the survey.
    Bernie Kaye

Dear all,

The response on the survey is rather good. I did not expect such a high response over the first day. In The Netherlands large format has been driven to the background and I suspect that there aren't many people using it actively. So, I am pleased to see that there are still quite a few people around that have their heart and mind dedicated to LF.

From some of the comments I read the wish that I should have used more multiple choice in my survey. The reason that I didn't is confirmed to be a valid one by the initial answers. The variety of cameras and lenses being in use is enormous. And as soon as you make a list you will be told to have forgotten relevant ones, or included obscure ones. Making a good survey is not easy at all, and different people will have different quality criteria.

I also did choose to ask for the favorite pieces of equipment. The reason behind this is that most of you are likely to have more equipment in your camera bag than what you actually use. To get an idea of what one's favorite is, is in many cases more relevant.

Some questions and notes asked for my photo's and experience with Large Format. Yes, indeed, I am a photo enthiousast. I have a Wista 45SP that I have been using for a couple of years about 15 years ago, mainly with a roll film cassette and some 4x5. (you can find some of my pictures on my blog at http://infocast.nl) It has been sitting on my shelves for about 10 years or so, but back in my mind it kept on nagging: I should continue with that chapter in my life. Currently I am validating an hybrid workflow for TMY, and hope to do some 4x5 portraits soon. My biggest struggle is to find the necessary time - as someone noted, I also have a full time job to take care of.

To comment on some of the shared fears, and the aluminium foil. I look to it this way, indeed the internet is like life itself a dangerous place. That does not prevent me to live life with the assumption that people are of good will. Every now and then I encounter people that proof that this assumption can not be sustained for everyone, but overall it works out quite well (for me at least).

Further I notice that some people share quite a bit about themselves on this public forum. Much more than what my anonymous survey is asking for. It is interesting to see these reactions and wonder what they actually mean.

As mentioned before, the survey will continue to be open till the end of this year. The analysis will be published early next year.

You can reach the survey at: Large Format Photography - 2010 Survey

With kind regards,

Barend Jan
    Barend Jan de Jong
    http://infocast.nl

Octogenarian

Barend Jan,

Most new members use their first post(s) to introduce themselves to the forum, ask specific questions about problems they are having, and/or offer to add their expertise to the community.

You, on the other hand, asked for information in the form of a survey. A most unusual way to introduce yourself.

This forum is bombarded with spam on a daily basis. Naturally, myself and a few others were suspicious of your intensions.

I did not mean to insult your integrity. Please accept my apology for doubting your motives.

Hi Gem,

Thank you for explaining your previous reactions. I understand where you and maybe some others are coming from; I would have appreciated if it had resulted in a direct question to me instead of drawing conclusions on incomplete information. But anyway, I fully accept your apology.

In case you would like to learn more about who you are communicating with, I guess there is more information about me on the net than I would like. The best place is probably my blog http://infocast.nl.

Nice meeting you in this virtual universe,

With kind regards,

Barend Jan
    Barend Jan de Jong
    http://infocast.nl

Scott Davis

My biggest problem with the survey is again, the lack of multiple inputs for a given field. I don't use just one film - I have three favorites, each of which has a distinct purpose. I have one specific camera brand that's a favorite, but no one camera - I've got several all-purpose cameras, and a couple dedicated purpose cameras. This goes double for lenses - it depends very much on what I'm shooting subject-wise, and what camera I'm taking out for a stroll. To try and force this into a single selection is a gross over-simplification.

Foamer

LOL some of you guys! It's not like he was saying he was a Nigerian prince that would give us a new Ebony if we filled in our bank account info. I answered the survey. Mostly, I'm curious what everyone else checked off.

Kent in SD

Filled in - and my computer still works

But I agree that the survey could have been a bit more ... though out. It would be actually an interesting topic for a forum thread I personally do not miss multiple choices - I miss additional questions that could say more about LF community and could therefore be more interesting to others too.
    Matus

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    LOL some of you guys! It's not like he was saying he was a Nigerian prince that would give us a new Ebony if we filled in our bank account info. I answered the survey. Mostly, I'm curious what everyone else checked off.

Kent in SD
    You mean I'm not getting a new Ebony?