Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kodak 3A camera - 122 film format

Kodak 3A camera - 122 film format

I just picked up a Kodak 3A / B2 camera from a local antique shop. For a camera with apparently good leather bellows and working shutter, I'd say $18 was a great deal! It looks quite similar to this photo:

It uses an interesting 3 1/4 x 5 1/2 "postcard" format frame. The spools say "3A" on them, I understand the 122 format was the equivalent, more recent offering. But, of course, they haven't made film in that size since 1971, so the camera as it sits is nothing more than a charming display item.

Has anyone rebuilt one of these to use 120 or other format roll film - or refitted it for 4x5 sheet film use? I did find a picture of one factory variation with a combo back on it for sheet film:

A simple overhaul on this camera may be in order - it could become my pauper's Littman, eh?

Re: Kodak 3A camera - 122 film format

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hughes View Post
    But, of course, they haven't made film in that size since 1971, so the camera as it sits is nothing more than a charming display item.
    If you're willing to pay a truly breathtaking price, Film for Classics still spools a batch of 122 once in a while. The only dealer that lists it for sale is:

http://www.centralcamera.com/Film/Fi...ck-White-Film/

That's funny - one roll of film would cost twice as much as the camera itself!

I was reading on http://www.6x14.com that the red bellows on cameras such as this were seal hide, as opposed to cow leather.

BTW, if I put a roll of film through this thing (even that ginormous 122 film), would it be considered an MF camera? If I put a sheet film back on it, would it then be LF?

one can add a frame mask to make this camera accepts 120 size film.
    I have the same camera and planning to convert it to a 6x14 but haven't found a time to actually do it.

I've never seen anyone use sheet film for the 3A, but lots of folks use 120 film in them - makes a nice panoramic view. There used to be plenty of stuff on the web about this, google something like "Kodak 3A 120 film" or "Kodak 3A panorama", you'll probably find some. Most people make adapters to use 120 film spools I think. I have one but have never gotten around to trying it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Smith View Post
    I've never seen anyone use sheet film for the 3A
    Nate! You gotta get out more!

Actually, this 3A back was made for 3.25"x5.5" glass plates. I suppose you could make some inserts to use sheet film. The rollfilm back pops off and this back clips on. The combo back has three pieces which slide into the hole in the back. There's a ground glass, a two-sided plate holder, and a blank with ruby glass hole for use with rollfilm.

Charley

loujon

Hey I think there is a 3A plate back & two holders for sale on eBay right now & they appeared in like new condition . The buy now price was $250.00 . WOW! Just a bit more than the price of your 3A camera.

If your patient they come up for auction or sale every now & then.Usually much less in asking price as well.

Quote Originally Posted by c.d.ewen View Post

Actually, this 3A back was made for 3.25"x5.5" glass plates. I suppose you could make some inserts to use sheet film. The rollfilm back pops off and this back clips on. The combo back has three pieces which slide into the hole in the back. There's a ground glass, a two-sided plate holder, and a blank with ruby glass hole for use with rollfilm.

Charley

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

One can open the roll-film back (in darkness) and simply lay a sheet of 4x5 on the film rails. The film will be shorter than the film gate, but it will actually stay in place. Then put the back on and shoot. Single shot, but might be fun.

multiplex

i have my grandparents kodak 3A autographic and at one point searched for the
    combination back. never found one cheap enough though. i recently bought a graflex 3A autographic instead ..
    i had one years ago i bought from jay tepper but it wasn't in very good condition so i mailed it back ( and have wanted one ever since ).
    it took a bit of teasing, and oiling and with the help of bert at graflex.org i was able to figure out
    where the tensioner spring is ... and have it pretty much working now ..
    with about 1/8" trim, maybe less, a sheet of 5x7 paper fits in the back across
    the film gate / rollers and makes the perfect negative on 5x7.
    it kind of looks like what the folks who shoot mate a 4x5 back on their 2x3 / 3x4 graflexes get ..
    i'd post the test-sheet but it is still drying ( just shot+souped it with my 8yr old )
    with a piece of black-board, it would be easy to do this with film. ...

have fun robert !
    john

Quote Originally Posted by c.d.ewen View Post
    Charley
    Ah, but I said I'd never seen anyone USE sheet film in one

... and I still haven't, I've seen those backs & holders though and thought about it. Just haven't felt like cutting film & dealing with the odd negative size so far.