Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8x10, Photo-Flo, PMK, and Scratches

8x10, Photo-Flo, PMK, and Scratches

Interesting discussion, which I would like to add a few comments and questions to. First, in defense of David's technique, I have also found that BPF scratches more easily than most other films during shuffling in the trays. Not only are the edges of the film rougher, but it seems to me that the emulsion is a bit softer as well when compared to T-Max, Tri-X or the Ilford films. Even the most skilled workers occasionally scratch a neg, and anything that will reduce that incidence would be helpful.

Also, I tray develop with PMK wearing vinyl gloves on both hands as mentioned above. Although a bit more fiddley than bare hands, it is remarkable how much sensation is retained and how easy it is to feel what you are doing. When developing large amounts of film, I simply leave the gloves on for the whole session, washing them like I would my hands and unloading the filmholders with them on as well.

Now on to my questions: I am curious as to the need for increasing development time when adding Photo-Flo to the developer. I would think that the surfactant would make it easier for the developer to break through the tension barrier and, therefore, increase it's activity somewhat. This would result in a shorter development time to reach the same density. Could someone clear this up for me if I am mistaken.

I am also curious as to why the Photo-Flo would cause the PMK to oxidize more rapidly than usual and turn so dark so quickly. Perhaps one of the photo chemists in the group could enlighten us. Possibly another type of surfactant would not have this effect.

Last, and most significantly, why would a surfactant, which breaks down the surface tension of liquids at a molecular level help to prevent scratches when developing. I would think that it would remove even the small cushioning and lubricating effect of the surface tension and make scratching negs easier. Could you explain your thinking on this to me? It seems I am missing something.

Thanks, ;^D)

I don't know much about the chemistry of it all, so I can't explain why it causes the PMK to oxidise more quickly, etc. I originally came across the idea 3+ weeks ago in a thread regarding how Jock Sturges develops so much film at a time. Somebody said he used Photo-Flo in the developer to help prevent scratches, which is where I got the idea. How/why it does (or doesn't, for that matter) make a difference I do not know, but plan to test some more to find out.

Jock Sturges does use Photo-Flo in the developer to help prevent scratches, and he uses a lot more then 6 drops.... He also works with 18 sheets at a time.

OK - I have to ask... (sorry I've been thinking) when everyone is talking "scratches" are you talking "damaged emulsion" to the point of being a problem when printing? Or are these things you see and worry about but really have no effect on the final product. I have had a few(out of thousands) where I damaged the emulsion and I KNOW WHY in all cases. But if you are talking about the "VISABLE" burnish marks on the Base side, is this really an issue? As has been pionted out, the grease works great. But in thinking about this issue I just opened up a box of unused (Expired and not stored proper) 4x5 color that I have had laying around. Allmost every third sheet has some "VISABLE" marks on the base side from just the manufacturing and packaging or a least that's what I'm guessing..... Any thoughts?