Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yosemite in Feb.

Re: Yosemite in Feb.

The weather in late February can be quite good. (January is a much more sketchier month to try to photograph in.) I have been there for many late Februaries without the need to put chains on the car. It can also be quite "interesting". If one has the time to wait out a storm for a couple days, the light in the aftermath of a storm is wonderful.

The floor of the Valley is only 4000' in elevation -- not too high. I have given workshops in the Valley the past two Aprils and have had a light snow falls during the week -- but also some warm weather.

Climate is something you have -- weather is something you get! Personally, in your situation, I would check the weather, and if it looks to be in between storms and the Park Service says the roads are clear, I would rent a car and drive into the Valley. As someone mentioned, the foothills are beautiful, too (take some of the small roads across the central valley and the foothills such as Keyes Road and go through Hornitos, for example).

Enjoy your trip to Yosemite! If the weather turns nasty in the Valley, go to the AA Gallery and ask to see some of the portfolios of their represented artists. I have some carbon prints and platinum prints there. The AA Gallery downsized their staff recently -- letting go their curator who has worked there for about 20 years -- so I do not know how easy it is to see the portfolios now. Really too bad -- they lost a treasure trove of knowledge in letting Mr. Glenn Crosby go.

Vaughn

Drew Wiley

Robert- we're normally used to a dry season and a wet season, Spring being wetter
    with more snowfall. But things have been different lately. And Yosemite Valley per se isn't very high in evevation, so classic powdery snows are most likely to occur only in
    Dec or Jan when it is colder than normal. The rim of the Valley is a different story due
    to the greater elevation, and the peaks beyond higher still. In the canyons below the Park, it is not at all uncommon for wildflowers to begin in Feb, though on a year like this it might be later. Otherwise, thing will be greening up. Tule fog is often present in
    the lower evevations, however, as one approaches the San Joaquin Valley. But Yos Valley is in the shade a lot that time of year and can be a little clammy, and the snow, if present, mushy or crunchy. Hard to tell. If one get starved for sunshine it is easy enough to take a bus up to the ski area at Badger, and the Valley rim. There will be plenty to photograph regardless. But rain is also a possibility, so a parka is always
    advisable.

Here's a link to Yosemite weather and seasonal information ... a lot of other helpful links on this site also: Link

I hope you have elected for lodging in Yosemite Valley rather than camping.
    In my experience the valley has really humid cold weather in the evenings making winter camping pretty miserable, while winter camping at higher elevations such as Wawona are much more tolerable. Drew probably has more winter experience in Yosemite than I, so I'd be interested in knowing if he has made similar observations.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Robert, Since your trip to Yosemite is in February, I do hope it will be the last two weeks of February, and that you will be afforded the chance to capture the "fire-fall" effect from Horsetail Falls, on El Capitan.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/natural/firewaterfall.asp

Drew Wiley

I'd agree, John. The tent-cabins in Camp Curry etc can be pretty clammy, but if one
    has a good goosedown bag along, no worse than camping in general. Higher up at
    Wawona there tends to be a lot more sun, but it can be a long drive to the Valley if
    a fresh snowstorm hits the road. Doubt I'll ever camp in the Valley again, because even
    though I've sold my house near the south entrance, I have a nephew with a house just outside Mariposa. I might start that direction again next winter, after I've qualified
    for my "Golden Geezer" Natl park pass (just a year to go!). I'm more of a back country
    type anyway when it comes to the Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Skeoch View Post
    You guys are talking about sprint in Feb..... I thought it would be the dead of winter.
    If you don't have winter in Feb., when is winter in Yosemite?

-rs
    Meaning - when is there snow? Some years, not at all on the Valley Floor. I believe on the occasion of Edward Weston's first trip to Yosemite in winter snow finally appeared the night of his arrival, after much fretting by his host, Adams.

Snow can come and go throughout winter. You can see for yourself with the following nowcast, and the NWS forecast, paying particular attention to the forecast discussion and snow levels. A snow level of 4500 feet elevation and a "juicy" storm with either a cold or occluded front pretty much assures snowfall in the Valley - which due to the fact that its southern half sees no direct sun in the heart of Winter, remains colder and pools the air. Existing snow on the Floor will provide a better base for new snow as well. But then there is wet snow and dry snow - a different story. And yes, I am a meteorologist, although I don't play one on TV. BTW, during an El Niño year (this not being one) last century, I actually won the annual Nordic Holiday Ski Race, held on the Valley Floor in March. These were taken in December - April, at various elevations.

My favorite time is December, when off hours can be whiled away at the seasonally decorated Ahwahnee Hotel, and hours of weather too bad or too good to shoot can be mitigated by "Print Viewing" in the back room at the AA Gallery by the curator. Too bad about Glenn.

If you want to see how Wednesday looked in the Valley...

http://halfdome.net/cams/ahw_movie_01.php

Robert,

I don't remember if you mentioned this in this thread yet, but can I assume you're bringing your "big" camera? If you are, I would highly recommend renting a vehicle - and it might as well be an SUV type with 4-wh drive. Someone else mentioned that they haven't had to put chains on in February and I can say from my own personal experience that I have NEVER had to put chains on my vehicle when in the Valley proper and driving in from Merced/Mariposa (highway 140) You will always see people driving around with chains, but most likely they had to put chains on coming in from Highways 120 or 41, which reach much higher elevations, consequently more stringent chain control. Having said that, rent the vehicle, rent chains in Mariposa - but you won't use them. In the event that you do, and it is winter and it is possible, there are plenty of folks around who do chain installation and removal for like $20.

The reason for having the vehicle is simple. Freedom. Yes, the transportation is pretty good to and from Yosemite and in the valley proper. But you very much constrained to the schedule and route. I don't believe there are bus stops around the entire Valley loop. It's most in the area of Yosemite lodge, Yosemite Village, Ahwahnee, Curry Village and Happy Isles. (Of course that's a lifetime if you've never been....) There may be transport to locations like El Cap Meadow, Valley View, Bridal Veil falls and Tunnel view, but I'm not sure about that.

Lugging your gear AND your traveling suitcase, winter gear, boots, etc. etc. I find it hard to imagine lugging all that stuff on trains and buses... :-) But then I'm a lazy American, and we just love our cars.

Lodging. If you can get lodging in Yosemite Lodge or Curry Village that would be great, The heated cabins at Curry are reasonable, but far from luxurious. The "tent cabins" are exactly that. Canvas tents on a wooden floor with cots.

If you can't get reservations in the valley, the closest lodging is in El Portal at the Yosemite View Lodge. It's highly recommended. I got a room last winter for $110 if I recall. This lodge is just about 2 miles or so from the Arch Rock entrance to the Yosemite on highway 140. Next is the Cedar Lodge, a few miles further away and slightly cheaper. Nice place. Next in Line is Mariposa where you have many more lodging options from dirt cheap to high-end. It's about a 45 min drive to the valley.

Weather. As others have mentioned, it's completely and predictably UNPREDICTABLE. If there's no cold front moving through, it could be gray and dirty. A clearing storm, a winter wonderland. It's never a bad time in Yosemite (well, after Memorial and before Labor day...) but it's a crapshoot what kind of conditions you'll get when having to schedule something so far in advance.

I will also echo and HIGHLY recommend the 140 drive and the Merced River Canyon. You could be photographing vibrant spring mossy greens and even California Poppies in the canyon and 30 minutes later be photographing snow laced black oaks in the valley.

The best part of it all is that you're going. Have a great time and best of luck with the travels.

Lon

Preston Birdwell

I agree with Lon all the way round except for one point, which I'll ge to in a minute.

You will want your freedom to shoot wherever and whenever you desire. When I was climbing a lot in the valley, hauling gear around on the shuttles was a pain, and the schedules were not conducive to early starts (or late returns).

One thing I will mention that is a little contrary to Lon's experience regards chains on the Valley floor. I have been there a couple of times in deep winter and the roads were like an ice rink, especially on the shaded south side. Even though chains were not 'officially' required, I'm glad I stopped to install them.

Have fun, and be safe!

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."