Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Film Apocalypse and Proper Freezing and Storage of Film

Preston Birdwell

Re: The Film Apocalypse and Proper Freezing and Storage of Film

I am with Sandy. If the film is in it's original sealed packaging, I will freeze it. Boxes that have been opened are stored in a cool dry place and used as soon as possible.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

When I told Julia I wanted to sell off my 8x10 gear and buy a DSLR, I thought she'd cry. "Over my dead body", she said. "Digital is empty and lifeless", she said. She started talking about hoarding film, etc. A few nights ago, I borrowed a friend's DSLR and made some photos here in the arctic, and emailed some jpeg files to her. She immediately began talking about buying a DSLR, ASAP, and wondering if we should use our remaining 8x10 film, or sell it, too. What a woman! We'll use our remaining stock, and then pass our 8x10 gear along to someone willing to pay the premium to shoot 8x10.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    When I told Julia I wanted to sell off my 8x10 gear and buy a DSLR, I thought she'd cry. "Over my dead body", she said. "Digital is empty and lifeless", she said. She started talking about hoarding film, etc. A few nights ago, I borrowed a friend's DSLR and made some photos here in the arctic, and emailed some jpeg files to her. She immediately began talking about buying a DSLR, ASAP, and wondering if we should use our remaining 8x10 film, or sell it, too. What a woman! We'll use our remaining stock, and then pass our 8x10 gear along to someone willing to pay the premium to shoot 8x10.
    Wow, must have been some photos! I don't want to start a debate but images on a computer screen are very different to large prints...

Liam, those differences are largely technical. Julia likes the photos very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    Liam, those differences are largely technical. Julia likes the photos very much.
    Hope that digital experience continues to serve you well.

I continue to hear of more folks that are coming back to film after a few years of shooting digital and it is music to my ears. The reasons vary. I have been told from a few friends that some of the renaissance is to differentiate themselves since they claim that their images tend to look like images from others using the same camera and lens combinations. They are also getting tired of the relatively high entry into the game and the steep depreciation in value. Some say that they miss the challenges of thinking about what they need to consider in the final print as opposed to being able to correct just about everything with software including perspective.

If it would be possible to personally thank all of the folks that decided to exit stage left with their analog gear I would do so. It allowed me to acquire all the gear I longed for at a fraction of the real value. A 30" Doctor Apo Geronon, a 305 Computar, a dozen additional new Toyo 8x10 film holders, many hundreds of sheets of film with much more on the way, etc. etc.

Fortunately there are many many folks around the world that feel the same way so sheet film will continue to be readily available for many many years.

Life is very very good and getting better every day!
    Last edited by Michael Kadillak; 1-Jan-2011 at 15:56. Reason: typo

Michael,

You make some interesting, and contradictory points.

I continue to hear of more folks that are coming back to film after a few years of shooting digital and it is music to my ears.
    More than what? Certainly even you don't believe more people are switching from digital to film than the other way around.

If it would be possible to personally thank all of the folks that decided to exit stage left with their analog gear I would do so.
    So you're happy when people switch from digital to film, and you're happy when they switch from film to digital. Good for you! That's a very positive attitude. I don't care much either way, but I do hope people are happy with their decisions and enjoy their photography.

It allowed me to acquire all the gear I longed for at a fraction of the real value.
    Some would say the real value is the market value, and your valuation is subjective and meaningless, except as related to your personal negotiations. Nonetheless, your larger point is correct; the mass migration from film to digital is knocking the bottom out of the used film gear market, at an accelerating rate, as I described in another thread. By selling off my 8x10 gear now, while film is still available for it, I stand to get a much better price for it than I could get later, when film is harder to find, and more expensive. If I want to buy back in to 8x10 at some future date, I'll pay much less to replace the gear I sell now. Realistically, I'm more likely to invest that money into a system for making digital negatives than in buying back into a marginal format.

As far as the digital experience goes, I'm planning a project that can only be realized with a digital camera, and I'm very excited about it. Life is good, and it is getting better every day!

Drew Wiley

You're rolling the dice, Jay. You should at least hang onto your favorite 8X10 lenses
    and the filmholders. You might have real regrets someday. What's likely to go up is
    the price of leaf shutters, so the value of desireable lenses might continue to increase, once we're past the recessionary road bumps.

Andi Heuser

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    What's likely to go up is
    the price of leaf shutters,
    Why that?

Andi

Andi Heuser

Jay,

do you think the future will come on a prefixed track?

"when film is harder to find and more expensive"
    Why do you want to know that for shure ?
    Is it a kind of unchangible natural law?

Andi

Yes, many people were interested in evaluating the prospects with digital and went in that direction. This decision seemed to be easier since some felt that they had little choice since film was a "goner" anyway. As it turned out digital was just another alternative to making images and not the product substitute that some predicted.

The demise of film was highly exaggerated since we continue to enjoy a very diverse offering of emulsions to continue to chose from. I do not see that changing anytime soon.

At popular places to photograph I see the glow of the dozen or more LED screens all lined up pointed at the landscape waiting for the light to come over the horizon so that they can snap off 20 + images in two minutes in auto mode. Then in no time at all they all fold up shop and the parking lot is empty. Yes, digital photography has allowed many that would never have attempted to be outdoors with a camera previously to participate in this past time. All they need is the $5,000 price of admission for their 5D with lenses and they are in "business". To what degree do they understand the nuances of photography remains questionable. I contend that the developers of these products have removed the need to have a clue. All you do is point, shoot and click with your mouse later. An absolutely perfect marketing plan utilizing planned obsolescence as your business cornerstone.

I will always be appreciative for the opportunity to be one of a few than one of the masses. It is an extension of my company business model. There is nothing quite as attractive for me as the darkcloth and the ground glass.