Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: The Film Apocalypse and Proper Freezing and Storage of Film

Re: The Film Apocalypse and Proper Freezing and Storage of Film

Marko,

Your points are clear and concise, and your arguments logical and straightforward. Quite refreshing!

Ha ha haa - well that was a refreshing read. It's nice to know things haven't changed much!

Anyway - is anyone actually still looking for 8x10 Astia to hoard or stash? Rationally or irrationally?

On moving house I found I had a few 10 sheet boxes of outdated Astia in the freezer. I'll have to check the date, but I think it's about 10 years or so old.

If there is any interest I'll put it up in the for sale section.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Hey Tim, where have you been? I haven't seen you around here in ages.

Drew Wiley

Yeah Tim, I'd love to hoard more 8x10 Astia 100F (not the older type). It serves as
    the best color duplicating film ever made. I've only got one box left in the freezer.
    But I also have more than a hundred sheets of official Fuji dupe film, which was simply older-style Astia tungsten balanced. It might or might not still be good; but I bought it cheap and frozen all along. I'm a lot less concerned about the film apocalypse as an energy apocalype, which we nearly had a few years back when
    Enron & Friends got control of our grid out here and nearly ruined it. A freezer is no good without electricity.

I actually liked the old Astia more than 100F.

The only film I "hoard" is film that other photographers are throwing out, usually after their compete transition to digital. I'm like waste-disposal.

Drew Wiley

Well, for my primary purpose, the Astia 100F was way better because it was not only finer-grained but also on polyester dimensionally-stable base, which is very
    important if you're trying to maintain register for masking, duping, or color seps. Of course, I shot some of the stuff for slightly higher-constrast scenes,but my main use for it was in the lab.

Ah, oh, okay: I didn't know that. I just thought the old Astia looked 'warmer' and 100F looked a little 'blue' by comparison. Should have tried an 81A with it but, well, never got to it. 8-)

3D-Stereo-Aeropanoramas

Re: The Film Apocalypse and Proper Freezing and Storage of Film-Sticky

Hello
    So instead of reading the last 18 pages how about someone offering a Sticky: How to store old or new film.
    AND: What will happen with exposed film stored over a long period of time....?
    some of the expressions i didnt understand. Frigidaire, freezer etc.
    frigidaire goes down to -10° C, freezer to -25° C here, be sure your meter is calibrated.
    so auto-defrost freezer would be better, rigth?
    I have all kind of film also 70mm, special films also IF b+w and color(newest from kodak)
    and 18 years old exposed CN 35mm and 120.
    How must they developped, pushed a bit?
    I only know old cn-films loose contrast, can be used for ideal constrast control in panoramas (instead of prefogging) but must be overexposed 1 stop and pushed if i dont err. We should open new thread about that.
    www.stereopan.org
    3DStereo-Aeropanorama-Jungfraujoch