Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Film Apocalypse and Proper Freezing and Storage of Film

Re: The Film Apocalypse and Proper Freezing and Storage of Film

This 8x10 hysteria is laughable!
    It wasn't too long ago when Ilford went into reorganization, Kodak shut down it's B&W sheet film line and Agfa and Forte went out of business.
    Ilford is back at it manufacturing classic emulsions basically unchanged over the last 25 years(why couldn't Kodak do that?) Foma rebadged as Arista is selling for approximately $2/ sheet for 8x10 B&W. Fotokemika & Orwo & Shanghai & Lucky haven't even seriously begun to flex thier marketing skills in NA and you guys are talking of either being forced to throw in the towel or building the frozen film equivalent to air raid shelters.
    Get real!
    Go out and shoot some 8x10!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I was looking for a thread about expired fim. The search option show me this thread first of all.
    So, I have 75 4x5" sheets of Kodak Ektachrome duplicating film and 8 4x5" sheets of Kodak Ektachrome 100 plus. The duplicating film boxes are unopened, unfreezed (keeped in a photo market) and expired since 05/1997.
    Someone shot colour film expired from 10 years ago? It´s worth to spend the developer chemicals? What can I do with this film? (some photographic use, shure)

thanks for share your experience.
    Philippians 4:8

Quote Originally Posted by eduardtoader View Post
    I was looking for a thread about expired fim. The search option show me this thread first of all.
    So, I have 75 4x5" sheets of Kodak Ektachrome duplicating film and 8 4x5" sheets of Kodak Ektachrome 100 plus. The duplicating film boxes are unopened, unfreezed (keeped in a photo market) and expired since 05/1997.
    Someone shot colour film expired from 10 years ago? It´s worth to spend the developer chemicals? What can I do with this film? (some photographic use, shure)

thanks for share your experience.
    Expired slide film is useful for cross processing. Will your local lab do this?

Although sound like a madness, could I develop that color slide with HC110 (to obtain BW transparencies)? If yes, should I use the same chemicals as in BW develop process?

If cross process is only develop the slides with C 41, I supose I could make this with my CPE2. Or not?
    Philippians 4:8

hacker extraordinaire

I processed some slides in B&W chemistry and I remember getting a really thick, ugly thing that I didn't even try to print. I think the film is designed to be bleached. Maybe you could cross process it if you underexposed it a lot.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    P.S. Another thing I never should have sold was my completely mint condition Yamaha YP-D8 turntable!
    And me my 1960 Pre-CBS Strat........Ouch Love your Architecture work btw

Andi Heuser

Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    Andi,

Your workshops sound great. I do the same kind of thing in Idaho, teaching kids how to build pinhole cameras and contact print their paper or film negatives. It's a lot of fun, and I meet great people. I've had more than a few parents join the group, and they have as much fun as the kids do. I would love to attend your meetings if I was in your city.

I think we have differing ideas regarding what the thing is. For me, photography is about making images, by whatever process. I use film for lots of reasons, but mostly because it's fun, and I enjoy sharing that fun, especially with kids. I think every one of my kids' friends has had some kind of photography lesson at my house. Some use film, others digital, but that's not the point. The point is they develop an appreciation for the expressive potential of a photo, and feel free to see in a new way.
    Jay,

with "the thing" I meant using film. Of course the aim is to make
    pictures. Great picture were made with film and digital cameras, no question.

I've decided to follow for large format and it works for me,
    so I continue with it. It's as simple as that.
    If for another digital works, fine.
    For me I know exactly I can't anything do with it.

Andi

Here are my base density results with HP5. Film in original packaging. Frozen since new. All film processed in the last 3 months.

HP5 Expiration 1986 = 0.74
    HP5 Expiration 2001 = 0.50
    HP5 Expiration 2013 = 0.21

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Here are my base density results with HP5. Film in original packaging. Frozen since new. All film processed in the last 3 months.

HP5 Expiration 1986 = 0.74
    HP5 Expiration 2001 = 0.50
    HP5 Expiration 2013 = 0.21
    A base density of 0.21 for HP5 expiring in 2013 appears to me to be horrible. But I do not use HP5.

Five years past expiration I can expect 0.05 density units of increased density from TMY. Current film has base density that is so clear it is difficult to measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    A base density of 0.21 for HP5 expiring in 2013 appears to me to be horrible. But I do not use HP5.

Five years past expiration I can expect 0.05 density units of increased density from TMY. Current film has base density that is so clear it is difficult to measure.
    Maybe there is too much radon in my darkroom

Some others for comparison.

Again all films processed in the last year:

Arista 100 4x5 (fresh) = 0.23
    Arista 100 8x10 (fresh) = 0.22
    Trix 35mm (fresh) = 0.25
    T-max 400 8x10 (2009 exp.) = 0.25
    Delta 100 4x5 (2013) = 0.17

Maybe this is a sign of film sitting around in warehouses or on shelves. I do know my local film shop now keep B&W in the refrigerator as of this year. Previously they only had color film in there.