Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Speed Graphic vs MPP??

Re: Speed Graphic vs MPP??

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Bigwood View Post
    I've also heard that the Mk7 is better than the Mk8 as it has a one-piece die-cast body, but the Mk8's body is assembled from several pieces, so not as rigid. The Mk8 also uses smaller lens panels with rounded edges, but previous versions have larger square-edged boards.

Here are a couple of pictures of my Mk8 with a 90mm Super Angulon attached: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbigwood/5218116109/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbigwood/5218704978/
    Quote Originally Posted by engl View Post
    My first large format camera was a Crown Graphic 4x5. I also do urban photos, you can see some shots I took with the Crown Graphic in this set:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/3616404...7624941511610/

I have now changed to a MPP mk7. In my opinion, the MPP is way ahead of the crude Crown Graphic. Build quality (all metal), rigidity, "action" feels much better. It offers a lot more in terms of movement, geared rise/shift, more easily used swing/tilt, as well as back movements. The rotating back is a major advantage, adding convenience as well as movement combinations, such as using swing for tilt in both landscape and portrait orientation. Bellows draw is a lot longer, although stability is not very good at full extension. Other details I like is that the viewing hood is easily removed, and it has an accessory shoe.

The one thing I miss from my Crown is that my Fujinon NW-125/5.6 lens folded inside.

My opinion is obviously based on handling only one Crown Graphic and one MPP. I have read that the MPP mk7 is supposedly better built than the mk8, but I have never seen a mk8 so I do not know. Everything I have read suggests that the mk7 or mk8 are the ones to get.
    Just seen you photos...very nice
    'Life is tough, but its tougher when you're stupid' John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by arca andy View Post
    Is this true for the whole range of Speed and Crown Graphics? If so then I am certainly leaning towards an MPP...also I live in the bit of London where they were manufactured so may be I should be loyal to an old local brand.
    Basically yes, although the super graphic has a switchable back.

As a UK user I you'll find MPPs way more abundant on the second hand market anyway. A crown graphic will be a lit lighter though if mass is a consideration, I did consider one myself but ended up with a lightweight Shenhao instead.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

The Super Graphic's back rotates, and it has Graflok clips. The Toyo 45AX's back is removed to switch between horizontal and vertical, and it also has Graflok clips.

BTW, Mark, your Mk7 looks absolutely lovely!

I used my Crown Graphic with 2 quick release (Arca) plates for vertical and horizontal tripod mounting. With the plates left on, changing orientation was just as quick as with a rotating back. Simpler too.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

Quote Originally Posted by mandoman7 View Post
    I used my Crown Graphic with 2 quick release (Arca) plates for vertical and horizontal tripod mounting. With the plates left on, changing orientation was just as quick as with a rotating back. Simpler too.
    Hi Mandoman
    But once in the portrait orientation can you raise the lens?

Quote Originally Posted by arca andy View Post
    Hi Mandoman
    But once in the portrait orientation can you raise the lens?
    The Graphic has about 1/2 inch shift, which would provide slight rise in portrait orientation.

I sometimes use an old Burke and James press camera, which has all metal construction, full front tilt, and a rotating back. The Pacemaker Graphics have other advantages, like fold-down infinity stops and many accessories.

dave shutter

Smile Re: Speed Graphic vs MPP??

MPP & is the way to go, great quality at reasonable prices.

dave shutter

MPP 7 is the way forward, great quality at a reasonable price

On the MPP I notice that a 90mm lens is mounted on a cone and the railboard is then dropped down, is that because you'ld get the rails in the photo if you didn't drop them down out of site? So would you use a cone on a 75mm lens?

Hi Andy

You need to mount a 90mm on a cone so that the front standard is on the short rail inside the body, before the point where the rails hinge. If it was on a flat panel the front standard would be on the front section of the rails outside the body, so you couldn't drop the bed and you''d get the end of it in the picture.

I've never used anything wider than a 90mm but in theory a 75mm would need to be on a cone lens panel.

You can just about see where the rails hinge in this picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbigwood/5218116109/