Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange Looking Pictures Made With Nikon 300M Lens

Strange Looking Pictures Made With Nikon 300M Lens

I've experienced the strangest problem with photographs made on a recent photogr aphy trip with my Nikon 300M lens that I've ever seen. I used the lens for abou t five photographs. A friend of mine borrowed it from time to time during the tr ip and made about the same number of photographs. All of the photographs that we both made with this lens (using two different cameras, my Technika V, his Maste r Technika)look very strange. It's difficult to describe and unfortunately I don 't have a web site where I can post an example but typically there is a small sh arp area somewhere in the picture, then everything is so blurry in front and beh ind of that small sharp area that you can't tell what the picture is supposed to be of. Also, there are "ghost" images in the pictures. For example, in one ther e is a small island in the center of the photograph that is in focus, then there is what looks like a larger version of the island, completely black and very bl urred, towards the foreground. It looks like a big black blob and you couldn't t ell what it is except that it is the same shape as the island. I've used this le ns before and haven't had this problem. If anyone would like to see exactly what I'm talking about, let me know and I'll send it as an attachment to an e mail m essage. I'm at a complete loss as to what the problem could be. Since two differ ent photographers experienced the same problem using this lens on two different cameras, it seems almost certain that the problme lies with the lens. I've looke d at it and it looks normal to me. If anyone has any ideas, I'd like to hear the m. Thanks.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Brian -

What do you see on the ground glass when you focus using the lens? Is everything in focus (from corner to corner)? I have no idea as to what the issue might be, but it seems that you should be having a WYSIWYG experience even with a suspect lens.

Howdy B! Just a wild guess, but maybe the shutter is the fly in the ointment here...

What about giving Steve Grimes a call or shipping the lens to him for evaluation???????

Services and products for photographers. Click the boxes above to see about special products and services. Also included: phone #'s, shipping info and lots more. Twenty-five years experience with cameras, lenses and shutters: Steve Grimes & Co. provide specific solutions: Accessories, Repairs, Custom machining and Modifications. These skills are useful to anyone needing inventive attention to unique problems. We enjoy a challenge! We follow through, applying simplicity and ingenuity to technical problems, finding the most effective and practical solutions. Steve's experience usually allows a good result at a practical price, even in cases where others have failed.

Today, the idea of a unique custom solution is frequently "impossible". In fact, unique problems have unique solutions. This site is a showcase of info and samples of some of those solutions.

Phone: 401-762-0857 Fax: 401-762-0847 ?1997-2002 S.K. Grimes http://www.skgrimes.com/

I had a focussing problem with a 300mm lens with symptoms similar to yours until I realized I had forgotten to remove the anti-rotation screw on the lens, preventing it from resting flat against the lensboard. But this wouldn't explain the ghost images ...

Verrry bizzarre! Is there a loose element inside when you shake it?

Possible: 1. Loose (adrift) or missing glass element. 2. Shutter blades not closing all the way. 3. Lens elements not screwed all the way to the shoulder of the shutter due to wrong mounting on lensboard or wrong deco ring on the front of the shutter. 4. Uncovered screw-hole in the lensboard, such as where the Linhof remote cable release connector mounts. 5. Accidental mismatch of front and back elements. Be sure both elements are for the same lens.

If you figure out what's causing it, there are lots of photographers trying to have that result of sharp at the center and blurry elsewhere.

Brian: I would look for a hole in the lensboard or lens mount that might be causing a pinhole image. That is assuming that the lens elements are still mounted solidly and in the proper alignment. Also, the shutter might not be closing completly, which can cause a pinhole image to form.

Regards,

Thanks to all who responded. Steve and Doug got it. There originally was a cable release gadget on the Linhof lens board. That gadget fell off a while back. I didn't pay any particular attention at the time since I didn't use the gadget. However, I now see that when it fell off it left a tiny hole in the lens board and that undoubtedly was the cause of the problem. Hopefully I can cover the hole with something and salvange this ridiculously expensive lens board. Thanks again.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Oh! I thought you had an accidental transmutation capable of rivalling the new C ooke Portrait at much lower cost! ;-)

Howdy B, In my old college days, we used to cover the holes in the walls at the dorm with peanutbutter...