Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My tripod vibrates a lot with my view camera

My tripod vibrates a lot with my view camera

My tripod vibrates a lot with my view camera.?

I've got my Shen Hao TZIIB yesterday. very happy with it (seller forgot to include the fresnel glass i order, i'm dealing with it now) So I put my camera on my tripod trying to figure out all teh movements. my personal comment, super cool. However i noticed the tripod vibrated a lot when I was playing around with it.

dont tell me i need a new tripod. i pretty much know what tripods are out there in the market.

My tripod is a lesser known brand, but i have a lot of confidence in their tripod. ive done a side by side comparison with the gitzo equivalent, and found its performance equal.

my tripod is a benro c297cx and a b1a ball head (i'm not entirely sure of the name designation)
    the ballhead and tripod are weight rated for 12 kg.
    made from Carbon Fibre

i put my view camera on it for the first time. it is very sturdy, but i noticed a lot of vibrations coming from the tripod. every tilt, shift and swing, the whole tripod would shake like a wet dog.

is this normal for carbon fibre tripod?
    is this why many view camera users prefer wooden tripods?

Re: My tripod vibrates a lot with my view camera

I don't know your tripod but I would suggest looking for a specific area.

If you have the surplus leg length, leave the smallest section retracted or minimally extended. Get your length from top down. Largest legs only.

If your tripod has a center post, do not use it. Put it down to limit.

If you have an Arca Swiss ball, the B1 should be fine. Use a baseplate with as much area as required, some plates are fine for 35mm but not large cameras.

Wiggle the camera, look for where the movement emulates from...

Just some thoughts...

Bob

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dikaiosune01 View Post
    dont tell me i need a new tripod.
    Ok, I won't do that. You need an old tripod. Buy an old dog of a tripod Bogen 3036, which is cheap, but most importantly the legs are braced to the center column. Or you can just not worry about the vibrating until it becomes a real problem, say when it is windy. Tripods tend to vibrate, but the ones with the most bracing vibrate the least. You could try bungee cords between the legs to create some tension stress.

I have a Gitzo 2530LVL and, even with the centre column extended, the camera remains steady.
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

It wouldn't hurt to try a different tripod. Maybe your camera is just perfectly matched for setting up a harmonic vibration.

I have not had this problem with my Gitzo CF tripods.

I can't speak to carbon tripods, but my old metal Gitzo Studex, coupled with my Zone VI (which should be a fairly close equivalent to your Shen Hao) is rock steady. I was concerned about heavy wind gust conditions last week on an architectural assignment because I had to use about a foot of the center column (on top of full leg extensions) at 1/8 and 1/4 second settings, but no problems.

I does sound like there are issues with your specific tripod and this camera's weight range. Is there a nearby friend or camera store with a sturdier tripod you can compare?
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Take the batteries out...

Quote Originally Posted by dikaiosune01 View Post

My tripod is a lesser known brand, but i have a lot of confidence in their tripod. ive done a side by side comparison with the gitzo equivalent, and found its performance equal.
    If your tripods performance is equal to the Gitzo equivalent then you should be fine. Just let the everything settle down before tripping the shutter. Leaning a camera bag against the leg or even better hanging some weight from the center column will help too. I like to position the weight so that it is just barely touching the ground, especially if it is windy, that way it's not swinging around causing the tripod to move.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotah Jackson View Post
    "ive done a side by side comparison with the gitzo equivalent, and found its performance equal."

I doubt this is right.

If you won't buy the right tool for the job you get low performance junk as you have now.

Lean your camera bag against one leg of your tripod. That will dampen a lot of vibration from the inadequate platform.

Then, learn to use the shift key on the keyboard to capitalize the first word of your sentences when posting on these forums.

damn, i read it just fine and dont even know if i noticed the "i"
    some people are just assholes that feel the need to correct the most meaningless of shit around here
    i guess

unless there is some rule that one MUST ABSOLUTELY MUST capitalize the fris rflflfl

lmao of course not
    only asses take the time to type such crap out before laughing at themselves then maybe they

backspace backspace