Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Robert White purchase question

Robert White purchase question

Ok, R. White price for Schneider Symmar APO 120/f5.6 is $100 less than any US qu otes I received.

What do I need to know about purchasing from Robert White? Customs? Import fees or taxes? Long wait for shipping? Tricky exchange rates?

Is there a catch? or is R White really just a better deal....

I really want a 120mm (or 110mm at the widest), for landscapes. Been searching f or a used deal, but gotta make a purchase in the next few days. As new lenses go , the Symmar seemed like a pretty decent lens. I'm an amature, and will be shoot ing strictly outdoors kinda of stuff. Any other lenses I should be considering? I still need some money for gas...

Generally speaking Robert White is just a better deal. However, frequently it is NOT enoughof a better deal to make it worthwhile over what is generally the best deal in teh US ... Badger Graphics. I shop both places but usually find that when I need a lens it makes more sense to shop at Badger. First, when you add in the shipping costs the difference between the Badger price and the white price is usually very small. I am willing to pay 20 or so dollars more to be able to deal domestically. This,does not necessarily hold true on all items but does on most.

make sure you know the shipping costs from White and if you haven't checked prices at Badger, do so.

Everything that the above poster has said is true, there are also many items @ RW that are almost half of what they are here in the U.S., RW is also above board about delays if he needs to order something, will tell you if they're any problems @ the manufacturers end that may cause further delays.

Besides the items you need, check out the rest of website and compare prices between his and U.S. and there are some big markdowns. The catch is that he is honest as are a number of folks here in the U.S.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

I bought my Ebony camera from them and had nothing but a pleasant experience. Great communication and prompt service. They have a listing of estimated shipping costs.

I bought a Gitzo G1570M head from RW and had no problems. It was cheaper than B&H even with shipping and customs (and sales tax aside, since I'm in New York), and was shipped quickly.

I have purchased from Robert White and been very satisfied. There are some items where his prices are better than anywhere in the USA while some items he is certainly not competitive. Look at his price on Fujinon lenses for example where is very high priced. I have purchased items from him and saved money even when you include shipping costs and currency costs. He does require payment in British pounds (don't know if he'll accept Euros now or not). Depending on your method of payment there may be charges incurred in getting US dollars converted to pounds, some banks may charge a service fee for example. When I have dealt with him the e-mail communication was very prompt and courteous, shipping was quick and everything has arrived as promised. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from him again. I have also purchased from Badger Graphics with great satisfaction as well.

You also must be aware of possible import duties that may be assessed by the shipper. I have received letters from UPS on about a 4% inport duty and also was hit with this cost at the door by the UPS man.

However, even with the duty, it was a great deal.

I have had a couple of problems with merchandise that needed to be returned and Robert White was very good about making sure that I got what I wanted and was happy. Like the previous respondent, I check with Badger and if it is not a large price differential, I try to support the niche dealerships in the US.

Schneider Symmar APO 120/f5.6 image circle is very limited for 4x5(179mm @ f22), the 110 xl is an excellent lens (288mm@f22) but expensive !

If the price differential is only $100 then it is possible that Robt White is not the best deal.

You asked about how long shipping takes. That is part of the problem in the cost. By default, White ships via UPS air express (or something similar--I cannot remember) because 1) it is very fast and 2) it can be tracked. But it is also expensive. If you ask, he will use the British post office thence to the US post office but then the package cannot be tracked and is quite slow. If you e-mail White with any questions, you will get a quick and glib answer.

If the $100 more expensive source is Badger, I'd go with Badger. In fact I did about two weeks ago on a lens with about a $110 differential Badger vs. White.

B&H is, near as I can tell, no longer a "discount" source. Often B&H is at or very near full retail.

Customs (the only issue here; there are no taxes or import fees) is a pig in a poke. It may be zero, or it may be $50. UPS may bill you or the driver may collect COD. It is a complete governmental mystery. White can closely estimate shipping by the various methods; but who knows about customs?
    John Hennessy

I'm very fortunate in that Robert White is only a 3 hour drive away. But I regularly buy gear mail order from him and can report thus: items are usually received next day if in stock (I appreciate that this will not be the case if ordering from outside the UK ) so his shipping is first rate. The item, no matter how small/cheap is always exceptionally well packaged. If an item is out of stock Robert and his staff will endeavour to get it quickly and to give you a realistic wait time. The "service" is second to none, oh yes, and the prices are excellent too!! THERE ARE NO CATCHES!!