Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Restoration of Century Grand Studio, Opinions welcome!

Re: Restoration of Century Grand Studio, Opinions welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    I'm finishing up getting my No. 7 up-and-running. In my case, it's more a thorough cleaning and tightening everything up, along with a bellows replacement. Even though my restoration isn't as extreme, I really enjoyed reading through this thread. Thanks for posting it!
    Wow I figured this thread was long gone years ago. The ole girl hasn't shot a picture in a while but she got a good workout for several years. It seems these days everyones doing wet plate or iPhones have wet plate apps and so fourth so some of the excitement seems to have wore off. I'm probably up to 100+ plates shot with her as now, I still get calls here and there but I kind of tell people they really need to get a large group so we can use up the chemicals. Still takes pristine pictures that blow everybody's minds on how nice they look.

It's the latest thing we keep looking back.

Why not, what changes with these cameras within our short time.
    Tin Can

Randy, I have seen several cameras with a knob like that that DOES focus as a fine-focus, there is a spiral cam groove cut into the bottom of the knob.
    T

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I have a Century that is similar with no back. I will be mounting a modern 8x10 slider to it. I bought the camera here last year. I cannot make the focus knob work as I think it should. It is exactly as the this post.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...l=1#post656827

I believe you loosen that central large knob and slide the back to close focus, then tighten it down, then the gears under the knob allow a back and forth movement to fine focus.

Mine won't fine focus, it's either too tight or too loose. It may be missing a part, as the seller had worked on the camera. I have tried a few things and was about to post about it.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    Randy, I have seen several cameras with a knob like that that DOES focus as a fine-focus, there is a spiral cam groove cut into the bottom of the knob.
    T
    This one has sheet metal rack and pinion under the knob, which could provide about an inch of fine focus. Perhaps it never worked well as later versions went to rack and pinion. And earlier versions had nothing, I believe. I have not seen the version you describe.

I will shoot pictures of it next time I work on it.
    Tin Can