Thread: Lenses shorter than 90mm on Master Technika

Lenses shorter than 90mm on Master Technika

Hi! How you guys use lenses shorter than 90mm on Linhof MT? To use 90mm i've mounted it onto recessed lensboard and feel more or less comfortable (no need to drop camera bed).

The problem is Schneider SS XL 80/4.5 - i've tried to move front standard inside camera, but focusing with rear standard is a real pain...

Re: Lenses shorter than 90mm on Master Technika

Master Technika what? Classic? 2000? 3000?

Widest lens on the MT Classic (rangefinder model) is the 38mm on the recessed Technika board with helical focusing mount. Also available on this type of board are the 47, 58 and 65mm lenses. For 72mm and up the heical type board is not needed and just the proper lensboard is required. For the 80mm 4.5 that would be the 001047 which is the 6mm recessed lens board.
    For the MT 2000 and 3000 cameras the 35mm Apo Grandagon is the widest lens possible and that would have to be mounted on the 001015 Comfort recessed board (12mm recess). The 80mm 4.5 would need the 001047 recessed board.

So, which lens board is that lens on? Apparently not the required 001047 board.

Focusing is never done with the rear standard as you have no accurate way to critically control parallalism when yo work that way and there are a lot of times when you do want the back parallel to the object to maintain image shape or correct image shape. If you follow the camera's directions and use the proper lens board then all focusing will be done by the focusing knob with the shortest to the longest lenss and all of the back movements will be available for image controls.

For 72 to 90mm lenses on the Classic Take out any cam that is installed, tilt the bed down to the third notch on the struts, tilt the lens all the way back. The upper track must be moved back into the camera body until it clicks into place. The infinity stop in this configuration will no longer be accurate so determine infinity focus on the gg. If you will do lens rise make sure that you unlock the top flap on the body housing with short lenses.

Thank you Bob for quick and helpfull reply!

I have MT Classic and 80/4.5 on flat Wista lensboard. I have tried the trick with tilting lens but in this case bellows become warped (come in close contact with rise mechanism). When i received my camera seller mentioned about replaced bellows - i assume it's different from original one... Thinking now about helical mount.

Quote Originally Posted by dofmaster View Post
    Thank you Bob for quick and helpfull reply!

I have MT Classic and 80/4.5 on flat Wista lensboard. I have tried the trick with tilting lens but in this case bellows become warped (come in close contact with rise mechanism). When i received my camera seller mentioned about replaced bellows - i assume it's different from original one... Thinking now about helical mount.
    All you need then is the correct lens board as listed in my earlier post. It will not work properly on e board that you are using.

I've used a 47 mm on a flat board. Just move the front standard to focus. Heck of a lot cheaper than a fancy lens board.

A SS 80/4.5 on a recessed comfort board, ± 10mm recess, will focus on the outer track. And will fit inside the closed camera, without caps. With this lens you need to use some rise in landscape mode to avoid the bed in the picture. Ore drop the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by cmmatthews View Post
    I've used a 47 mm on a flat board. Just move the front standard to focus. Heck of a lot cheaper than a fancy lens board.
    Was this on a MT Classic? Or with a extended drop bed like the 3000?