Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Planning Trip to Deathvalley, Sierra, Yosemite Nat Parks, need advise

Re: Planning Trip to Deathvalley, Sierra, Yosemite Nat Parks, need advise

Jim,

Bristlecone is one of my favorite and I stayed for five nights at Crooked Creek, a sort of university station, some 10 years ago attending a workshop.

I always dream of going up there and spend at least a few days, but could not find any information about lodging at Crooked Creek again. I understand there is no camping nearby. Any suggestions?

Hugo

Drew Wiley

It would be a rare winter that the road to the bristlecones would be open past Sherwin
    Grove, if at all. Generally you'd have to ski in - a pretty ambitious project clear back
    to Patriarch Grove where the classic shots are. (Not technically hard, since you just
    follow the ridge road, where avalanches are a minimal hazard). Haven't done that kind
    of trip with a big view camera since I was quite a bit younger. Cross-country ski travel
    with a hundred pound pack has it's cheap thrills, especially if you're a Klutz on skis like
    me! I've since resorted to snowshoes and day excursions. Some winters the White Mtns are fairly bare. Last year when I flew over, the snow looked pretty deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    Jim,

Bristlecone is one of my favorite and I stayed for five nights at Crooked Creek, a sort of university station, some 10 years ago attending a workshop.

I always dream of going up there and spend at least a few days, but could not find any information about lodging at Crooked Creek again. I understand there is no camping nearby. Any suggestions?

Hugo
    There is a dry campground at about the 7,000 foot level down out of the Bristlecones that is decent with pit toilets and it's just a few minutes back up the mountain to the good stuff.

Most likely, Bristlecone Pine Forest will be closed as well. They typically close by the end of November latest. Call ahead!
    Juergen

Drew Wiley

Jim - we're talking about December here! Going from 7000 ft on a washboard dirt road
    up to 11000 ft in the winter is not something one wants to do in a rented car! That
    campground can be cold enough in October, but sure has one helluva view of the
    Palisades in the Sierras. I've seen it snow enough in Dec to shut down the paved road
    way down at Westgard Pass. Sherman Grove is near the campground, but certainly
    doesn't have the classic windswept bristlecone forms of the upper grove. Any of those
    backroads can be pretty damn hazardous off-season - that's why the roads are generally closed. Even if they were open, an extra spare tire and an extra week of
    food and water wouldn't be unrealistic. I've been stuck even in 4WD for several days
    at a time just off the main routes in your state, which gets even less snow. There are
    many safer places to explore, with plenty to photograph in winter. But even a soft
    place on the hwy like Bridgeport, which gets huge motocyle rallies in the summer, can be around zero in Dec - no place to get stuck even in a car.

OK, bad idea unless you live in Tonopah, NV., and have a 4WD vehicle and can go home and sleep in you own nice warm bed.

jadphoto

As others have mentioned, it'll be cold.

I have van camped and shot at Mono Lake in December and anything we didn't want to freeze we had to put in the refrigerator.

The campgrounds around Lee Vining including Virginia Creek Settlement will be closed. The RV park in Lee Vining might be open though.

You used to be able to get into Lower Lee Vining Campground after it officially closed but they now have it gated and fenced.

I have van camped at South Tufa and in the Visitors Center parking lot without hassles. The overlook at the Union Gas Station on hwy. 120 is good but the Whoa Nellie Deli sadly will be closed for the season.

Lot's to see and shoot if you're prepared for the weather though. Talking about that area is starting me thinking of heading up that way too!

JD

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

One thing for sure, the motels/hotels will be dirt cheap, the campgrounds and trails empty, and the lighting and atmospheric conditions superb!

Late December thru early February is the best time for a photography road trip in the west. You can see for a hundred miles in the Grand Canyon area!

Enjoy!

Thomas

Drew Wiley

Yeah - don't be discouraged, just prepared. I've been stuck all kind of places in the
    West, waken up from a cozy sleeping bag to a fresh snow, strapped on the snowshoes and 8x10 pack, and couldn't be happier. Meanwhile, someone the same
    night would freeze to death in a car along the same highway somewhere. Happened
    quite a few times in my memory. Gas up whenever you can, and buy a cheap picnic box for supplies. Death Valley itself might or might not be T-shirt weather. But the light is simply wonderful in December, and its one of my favorite times of the year in that whole area. The nights are obviously long, so take along a good lantern and book too. Even that time of the year, I'd rather be listening to the coyotes howl than to a TV in a motel. Don't worry about seeing all the "sights". It
    would take a lifetime.

I'm grateful for all the suggestions and advice, I'm not too worried about the cold. I live in Maine and I've camped, been stuck, and lost in the Maine woods during winter. Even if the worst did happen I imagine I could manage. I'm not going to look for trouble though especially with a partner along. I wouldn't mind sticking to the lowlands in DV, it seems there are countless sites to camp and photograph. I figure I'll pick a few choice places and spend a couple days in each, or maybe I'll spend the entire week in one place :-P

Keep it comin