Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A good jacket

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

A good jacket

For years I have loved my Filson wading jacket and a mole skin hunting vest for carrying my 4x5 accessories. Nice large pockets can hold film holders and plenty of accessories. But today I saw these Scott eVest jackets, and they look incredible! 37 pockets? Or a trench coat with 33 pockets that eliminates a carry-on bag? That coat looks good enough for 8x10!

Director @ Images Argentiques sultanofcognac's Avatar

Re: A good jacket

Dunno about my 8 x 10 gear, but it fits my iPad. . . I'm getting one!
    Are we truly creative, or simply too lethargic to become pedestrian?

I've noticed a huge increase of online ads for them since I visited their website, it must have installed some sort of cookie or done something to flag me and now Google and Facebook are smart enough to be tracking my history.

Slick.

Scary.

Illegal? Our legislators are too stupid to even grasp what they are doing to us.

Ditto what Frank said. I'd never seen their ads before, but now they seem to be all over the place. Predatory marketing...

Looks like some very nice jackets! I'll definitely consider them next time I need a winter jacket or sport coat.

I have a quilted orange hunting vest that I use in the fall that has big pockets in the front inside and out and has a big pocket facing back that goes all the way around to the other side of the vest. It's for putting dead birds in I think. It does a great job with 4x5 holders, lenses, and accessories. Probably not quite big enough for 8x10 holders.

Let's kill the spam, here's an email to share:

Dear Scott,

I visited your website once, based on a friend's post about how nice your jackets are for travel. Nice merchandise but... Now every commercial website I visit has a SCOTTEVEST Google ad, as well as my Facebook sidebar.

To me this is too aggressive and in my face. I feel like my information and privacy has been violated.

While I understand that other businesses collect my browsing history, and that Google and Facebook use my information to feed targeted ads to me, I find this sudden barrage of ads from one source a major turn-off.

It makes me NOT want to ever visit your website again, and most certainly never to do business with you. You've lost me as a customer. And you're probably paying your incompetent internet marketing spam jockeys way too much for every click.

Because now when I click on a SCOTTEVEST ad, it's simply to run up your bill.

Frank

I use Adblock+, a free add-on with Firefox and rarely see advertisements while browsing, so I am always puzzled when people complain. If it annoys you, just avoid them. All it takes is a moment. If you are worried about cookies, there are lots of add-ons to deal with them...

Frank, what happens is Scottevest probably advertises with facebook. I've seen the same with overstock.com and numerous other companies. Then you log into facebook or your unique web browser gets identified by facebook with a cookie.

Then advertising supported websites outsource their advertising to a company like google or facebook. Those two companies choose what ads to put on the advertising supported website as you view them. If they choose facebook, facebook will then see that it's Frank visiting them because facebook already recognizes you, and tailors the ads to something you have shown interest in by your browsing. The advertiser has no idea where there ads show up on the Internet, nor does the advertiser supported website know what ads are going to be showing, except for some basic content guidelines.

Google uses search history, google toolbar, google apps and gmail to make that correlation rather than the facebook login.

Targeted advertising is a little unsettling, but effective. Untargeted advertising is basically a waste of money online.

The best solution is to purge your cookies and saved logins, then do your facebooking either with a separate brower or a secure/private tab within your existing brower.

Yeah I know but these guys seem to have flooded me, every ad is for them!

Need to start International Ad-Click Week.