Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: a new youtube channel for novice large formatters

Re: a new youtube channel for novice large formatters

Good job Frederick. I will post your channel in our local photography forum here in the Philippines to promote and made aware that large films are still around.

Kudos!

Ari

Its a good effort but without music it would be much better!

Cheers Armin

thanks very much guys

number 9 will be coming soon

frederick

Love the vids!! I subscribed, so keep up the good work.

BTW, out of curiosity, what polaroid film pack do you use in your Shen Hao?

i use a polaroid 550 with fuji instant i think its 100c 45 or somthing.

but i have run out of film for it, i will get some and then do a video on portrait i think using my d700, and also iphone and apps as a meter

frederick

I liked the videos a lot and look forward to the next. I did find the music distracting. Perhaps if its played as background music it would be okay, but it seems to be competing with you the way it is. Good work though.

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

I think the music was ok.

I think the videos should be aimed more at people who have actually got cameras and are struggling to use them as opposed to people who are thinking about getting one.

that way you can get more directly into the practical aspects.

it is much eaier to learn from a visual source some times especially if that is the way your brain is wired like mine.

there is a lot of technical stuff to learn in exposure etc, but visuals can make it simple.

for example i have just ruined two packs of fuji polaroid trying to load it, it seems simple and will be once i know how, but the vids on you tube did not translate to my experience. i have a pa145 holder and am using 100 and 3000 fuji film.

so videos that work are invaluable, as that shit is expensive!

the lighting on the first vid was great but then got a bit dark.

also when you say a word like front standard it can be confusing to complete no nones
    as they are words that mean some thing else in the same language.

I am doing a course now, and there is nothing quiet as frustrating as when the author assumes you know what a word means, simple mistake if they are so familiar, but they keep going and leave you behind and you cant ask questions. so all bases must be covered.

some times a picture might be worth editing in to your dialouge for egsample a close of a 35mm and a close up of 4x5 or digital print to show distortion or noise etc.

people can then see why they are better, or you could refer to a link whilst talking.

i know its a lot of work, but you could be doing something good here.

edward debono said all company's must idiot proof there products or design, ie can mr and mrs smith work out how to use the remote control you have just spent millons inventing, or that web site etc.

so a good way to test is to show your vids to some one outside the circle and give them a comprehension quiz.

one thing i have noticed when i do musical recordings is that if i am at home alone i tend to go into a slightly more relaxed state that if i was for example performing on stage, the energy is higher on stage and lower at home.

this translates into recordings that dont really give off much dynamic or focus.

people will respond more to the emotional tone first,
    you are doing that with your music, trying to keep it up beat.

but i think there could be a little more umph to your presentation.

alot of actors do warm ups, shake there bodies about do physical warm ups, stretch thier vocals scream whatever it takes to get into the dynamic zone, where you radiate energy ands calm focus like a tiger.

that may be too much,

but good on ya!
    through a glass darkly...

lol thanks for the ideas cosmic.

ill just clarify, because i think people are expecting me to be doing masterclasses on here at some point.

when i started out in this, large format, which is relatively recently, ie a couple of months, i was getting ready to buy a camera system, but what i needed was a quick few videos, that would convince me i was on the right track. show a camera, talk about it a bit, give me some other things related to it i may have not seen yet, tell me what may be possible. there was very little, but one video stood out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbJysVFxSIk

it didnt say much really other than the very basics, but it was interesting to me, i liked the guys style, his own, no one elses, he isnt necessarily a presenter but that didnt matter.

that video was all i needed to give me the push to try this medium.

im not out to become a great presenter, as many people say i should brush up, most of my friends, who arent photographers, say they like that im just being me.

to be honest the basics are there, they are just meant to point you in a direction. i find it hard to work through text based stuff too, but dont you feel like putting the effort in and trying hard to do something thats challenging is rewarding? my opinion is that watching a video is only part of it, a small part.

i have my own way, my own style, my own mistakes and my own path. youre free to tag along if you like, and i really do hope what you see is inspiring, but im nto about to go all out and do a slick, polished, fake (in terms of who i am) pumped up (i really cant even begin to start thinking of 'snappy' american style tv presenting - nothing against you guys in the states, but a carbon copy of the guys on the tv i dont intend to be) channel that is starting to try and train people who already know what they are doing. i can just imagine the feedback then, 'you did this wrong, you did that wrong, leave to to the professionals etc etc'

i encourage absolutely everyone reading this to make their own videos, their own way, and add themselves as friends to me so i can subscribe to the ones that work for me too.

you get where im coming from? im just doing my thing, i appreciate the advice, especially the camera based stuff, but presenting, well i talk to the camera like i would talk to a friend. the light will vary, as its just the light coming in thru the window, the day i set up a studio will be the day im losing valuable time i could be out living, rather than in talking about living

frederick

@Fredrik

The videos are great, but not the sound. You either need to remaster it or suppress the echo (use any free software to do it like audacity, ardour) and also lower the pitch. Just my two cents from this filmmaker (with some awards ;-) )

zenny

*** Support http://www.thehumanape.org ***

hi zenny, thanks for the comments, just had a look at the human ape project at the bottom of your post.

it looked quite interesting.

i clicked the first link i saw - 'global initiatives'.

this led me to the global initiatives page where i clicked 'a silent revolution'.

this talks about the need for members to hide off in the shadows, where they are not seen, where they can slip off without ever being photographed.

further clicking. 'you can do'

explaining what 'global initiatives' is.

'In a nutshell, GI is:

• an independent platform to put your beliefs in action,

• a loving commitment to share, serve, learn and lead,

• a voluntary international Movement to prove yourself useful to the people,

• a global Mission aiming at the holistic human development by empowering women (present) through children (future), and

• the modern incarnation of guthi tradition where volunteers dedicate themselves to human progress without any pre-meditated agenda.'

i decided to have a look into what the 'guthi tradition was'

http://www.aioiyama.net/lrc/papers/c...-6.htm#meaning

where i found

9. Philosophical aspects of the Guthi

1. The activity of the Guthi is a religious activity. It must not be neglected by giving poor attention.

2. The activity done by Guthiyars unitedly becomes successful.

3. The difficult work like taking the turn by Guthiyars must be shared by Guthiyars turn by turn.

4. Every Guthi has its own specific objectives. These objectives must be accomplished by the collective efforts of all the Guthiyars.

5. The instructions of the Thakali must be carried by all the Guthiyars.

6. The Guthi stands for the welfare of the Guthiyars.

just some thoughts. sustainability sounds very benevolent on the surface, but what it amounts to is the total control of all resources by the government, governments that time and time again fail the people. its no surpise at all that al gore was a vice president, and known to be one of the most alarmist and dishonest polticians of his time.

in order to achieve the goals of sustainable living, the government partners with the private sector, and in this case the whole thing is wrapped into a new world religious movement. this is fascism, nothing else. and all it takes to realise that is a peek under the veil and a little bit of rummaging around.

i am not a christian, but for a fantastic breakdown of this topic in a more throrough way,

check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_d4Y...x=0&playnext=1

as i said i am not a christian but this cross references perfectly with other research i have been carrying out for many years.

im sorry to have laid this here - but, as your subtitle is here also, i think it is fair to place a counter to it, and unlike the web page that you led me to, i will always work out in the open.

frederick.