Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Photographer working in the US

Canadian Photographer working in the US

I recently have been offered the opportunity to shoot an event in the US accompanying another local photographer. The event itself is a few days, but it will require about 3 weeks spent in California for orientation and planning. Does anybody have experience with the appropriate visas working in the US as a photographer? I'm having some difficulty finding anything that describes the requirements - professional work visas don't seem to list anything photographic related.

Re: Canadian Photographer working in the US

Unlike Canada, we don't require all sorts of entry work permits. If you are here on a professional task, you will receive payment, a form 1099 and in some cases the client will be required to withhold 28% of your pay for the IRS.

If the client is a CDN company, and you are being paid in Canada, but executing work in the US, nothing is required at all.

The same can not always be said in the reverse direction.
    I have had American friends turned away at the CDN border even while the client was US based. Does not seem to happen that often, but if you get a border guard with frost bitten and or crusty shorts.....

The border guards search and harass me for carrying two cameras or "professional equipment". They ask my profession and when I say, "photographer" you can see their eyes light up.

Doing their part to save work for good honest Canadian photographers! Free trade indeed! Thanks Bill Clinton!

I've gone through hell sometimes just to get across the border.
    I'm a little dark, and I have some strange stamps on my passport, so I expect a few extra questions at every border crossing. But I still found the border guards on the US side unusually hostile, insulting and patronizing.
    And talk about protectionism!

Michael seems to be quite sure of his answer, but that has not been the experience of me and several of my friends.
    If you are being paid in the US and might be considered to be taking a job from an American you need a work visa.
    If you go the the border or US screening in the airport and tell them you are going to do a job and do not have a work visa you will not be let in.
    If you tell them you are a tourist and then do the job you may not get caught and will be OK.
    But it is a serious problem.
    Check things out before you go.
    Call your MP or check with the American embassy
    Regards
    Bill

as Allen noted, if you're working for a Canadian client, all should be fine. Beware that you may be questioned about your carnet. This was a supreme hassle for me once when i got pulled out of the line for downstream inspection. Another agent over ruled the other inspector and I was good to go.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Thanks all for the suggestions and insight. I will get in touch with the US Consulate in Vancouver and see what I can dig up.

In case you think it might just be easier to go on the premise of being a tourist and then working without the proper authorization read this.

I have a good friend that is no longer welcome in the United States. She worked for a large Canadian company and her job required her to travel into the US for work on a fairly regular basis. She always had a work permit for the duration of her trip. One trip however, the paperwork was forgotten for a few of the people and instead of holding things up for a day getting everything in order they were told to say they were just on vacation. Everything seemed to go well, they did their job and came home without incident. A very short time later she was informed that one of the other employees had informed the US Govt. about what had happened. She has since moved on from that company and from what I understand the company had to pay a large fine, but the people that lied at customs will likely not be allowed in the United States ever again, for work, vacation, or even for a quick stop at the airport to continue on to another country. The company's lawyers have been working on getting a pardon for their employees for the past few years but apparently it does not look promising.

You can even get hasseled for driving prints over the border for a show... like I did.