Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: is KEH still a good place to buy?

3d Visual Effects artist

is KEH still a good place to buy?

So In the passed (anywhere from 2 years ago to maybe 10 years ago) I've purchased a number of things through KEH and have always been quite satisfied with their ratings, and have never had any problems.

Well today I received a few lenses (leica M lenses, not large format) and for one of the lenses they sent the wrong lens, an Elmarit instead of a Summicron. No big deal, they will probably exchange it for the correct one with no questions asked (it's their mistake, after all).

However, that got me wondering, is KEH still a good place to buy used items? I've not purchased anything from them in several years (accept for this week, with the 1/2 goofed up order) The other lenses, including one that was marked "ugly" are in great condition for what they are rated as, which is always as I remember it being with KEH, very conservative ratings on the condition of items.

Folks still buying from them regularly, had success? This is the first time I've had any issues with them, although it's not really a big issue since I'm sure they will exchange it quickly. I was just hoping to have the correct lens for my week off next week, the first real time off I've had in over a year, and the first weekend I've had off in over 2 months h
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Re: is KEH still a good place to buy?

I just bought from KEH once last year.

Got a Fujinon 210/5.6 for a good price, and i think it looked better than stated, so i was very happy with it.

Even after adding 25% swedish VAT to the price and express shipping it was a bargain compared to buy anything here :-)

I've bought twice from them in the last year with good success, and found their ratings to be very conservative.

Yes, just bought two lenses from KEH, both of them Fujinons with a "Bargain" rating. The prices were at or below what the lenses were going for on the auction site, and they are in great shape.

yers
    just bought a lens from them
    just perfect
    francois

I'm sure someone here has had a bad experience, but I've always been happy with them. I bought a BGN lens just this year that, had it been on eBay, would have been advertised as MINT! ;-)

Their ratings are conservative, at any rate compared to ebay (where just about everything that has had the loose bits wiped off the corrosion holes is "minty"). But their shipping through some Federal Express luxury service only makes them no option for delivery to Europe, unless you are really desperate. I've once paid a total of $110 for the shipping of one filter (where $70 came undisclosed after the fact in a bill from FedEx, for "customs handling"). Personally I positively am never going to deal with KEH or any other company shipping with FedEx from the US again.

I've never been a big fan of KEH, they're usually overpriced IMHO, the one "bargain" item I bought had a big dent in it (o.k., it was shown as "bargain," but I had read over and over about how conservative they were and their "bargains"were like other seller's "excellents"), and then they cheated me on a Zeiss Ikon outfit I sold to them (I've related the details here before, no need to go into them again).
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I have purchased many lenses and cameras from KEH, over a ten year period and never had a bad experience. Returns are not a problem if you decide that it is not as described.

With "bargain" grade you take a chance. I purchased a "bargain" Rolleicord, that was mint, except for a small dent on the bottom; it worked flawlessly. I got lucky in that case. I'm sure "bargain" grade is not always that pristine!

I sold them a Contax Aria and received a fair price.

I usually buy EX or EX+ and I have never had a lens with dust or glass that was less than perfect. Some show minor wear on the barrels, but you have to look closely to see it. A couple of lenses I would have guessed were new had I not known better.

Of course you can often find somewhat lower prices at private sales, but then you are forced to trust the seller and may be stuck with a lemon if they do not honor their return policy.

3d Visual Effects artist

sounds like not much has changed then. Price wise, yea they aren't the cheapest, but they always seem to have what I need, which is why I've always shopped through them in the passed. I've never sold anything to them though. They must have just accidentally goofed on my order. No biggie, everyone makes mistakes :-) Thanks for the replies!
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com