Thread: Cokin Pola Red p161 vs Straight Red filter in Bw?

Cokin Pola Red p161 vs Straight Red filter in Bw?

What is the difference in effect between these filters for bw photography? Would also be good if someone posted an example.

Re: Cokin Pola Red p161 vs Straight Red filter in Bw?

The polarized red filter would avoid stacking filters if you want to really cut haze in a scene. This would be especially helpful with wide angle lenses on medium-format cameras. My Hasselblad's 50mm lens vignettes like crazy with 67mm stacked filters. Image quality also may suffer with stacked filters.

Peter Gomena

Do you mean that the pola red is a polarizer and a redfilter? Is there any areas which it assigns more red to?

Red cuts blue and green from the visible spectrum. It will reduce density in shadow areas illuminated by clear blue sky, a blue sky, and darker green foliage. Combining it with a polarizer will further darken blue sky and will remove some reflections from the scene. Depending on the density of the red filter, you will lose a total of 3 to 5 stops of light. I don't own one of these, but I assume Cokin has combined the two into one.

Peter Gomena

does anyone have any example photos?

I am still unclear o exactly what this filter does. Does it act as a polariser and has a continuous red placed over the top (ie same as combining a polarizer with a red filter) or does it act as a blue/yellow polariser assigning reds just to particular polarized light?

Quote Originally Posted by l2oBiN View Post
    I am still unclear o exactly what this filter does. Does it act as a polariser and has a continuous red placed over the top (ie same as combining a polarizer with a red filter) or does it act as a blue/yellow polariser assigning reds just to particular polarized light?
    The filter is made of two components: One "grey" polaraized glass and , in this case, a polarized red element. You can rotate the red element for darker red much the same way a traditional polarized filter works for "darker" grey. The range seems to be between one half and two and a half stops. It is like stacking a red filter with a polarizer.

You can get other color elements as well: I have blue and yellow in addition to the red.
    The polarized red REALLY can make clouds pop in B&W landscapes. I never go in the field without my pola red and pola yellow.

Yes, you do need to be careful with vignetting. This is a thick filter.
    Bill McMannis

A little off topic I guess, but I have a Sing ray gold and blue polarizer which basically changes between yellow and blue tint as you rotate the filter. My question is if I use it for b/w shots will the yellow portion of the filter darken the sky and the blue portion lighten the sky. It works as expected for color work, but I haven't used it for b/w instead using just a regular polarizer for b/w. Anyone know for sure?
    regards
    Erik