Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quality of Chemistry From Bostick and Sullivan

Quality of Chemistry From Bostick and Sullivan

Long Story Short:
    I want to get into wetplate, these guys seem to have a nice product pre-measured for me. How good is it and perhaps more importantly, will it be a good way to learn wet-plate?

Thanks!

EDIT: Include relevant link! http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/cart/home.php?cat=323

Re: Quality of Chemistry From Bostick and Sullivan

I will have to let others comment about the wet plate chemicals, but as far as over-all product quality and service, you will do no better than B&S.

Vaughn

Its very good and a good way to get into wet plate. They supply everything you need although I prefer to use a different fixer, their default is Sodium Thiosulfate, I use ilford rapid fixer.

In addition to the chemicals you will also need some hardware, check out http://lundphotographics.com/shop/ they are very good.

Thanks guys! One last question; Ideally I would like to do all my wetplate work on my current sinar f2, anyway I can get/make plate holders for the thing or is that a bit of a doomed enterprise?

funkadelic

Pick up John Coffer's "Doer's Guide to Wet Plate Photography". that will answer most of your questions, as well as being a good re source for info later. It also shows how to make wet plate holders by modifying plate holders.

I've always had excellent luck with them. Compared to others, they're quite reasonable. Good customer service and very helpful with advice.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinB View Post
    Thanks guys! One last question; Ideally I would like to do all my wetplate work on my current sinar f2, anyway I can get/make plate holders for the thing or is that a bit of a doomed enterprise?
    Thats why I said you should check out http://lundphotographics.com/shop/ they sell the plate holders and other hardware that you will need.

Quote Originally Posted by eoghan View Post
    Thats why I said you should check out http://lundphotographics.com/shop/ they sell the plate holders and other hardware that you will need.
    I didn't see it at first but now that I look back I see they will modify film holders for my use into plateholders. very cool. Thanks again!

As other have said, the service and chemicals are fine. But when you buy premixed you're paying considerably more than if you bought the chemicals yourself and mixed them. I don't know about wet plate but with the alt processes I did - mostly gum and Vandyke Brown - that was very easy to do once I acquired a digital scale.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

You are doing your self a disservice using premixed wetplate chemistry. B&S sell fine chemicals. Get a good manual and mix your own, if you have trouble (and you will) you can begin to remedy the problem, particularly the developer.