Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New article: guillotine shutters

New article: guillotine shutters

A new article by Bill Kumpf on a DIY guillotine shutter has been posted. It is composed of two parts:
    Constructing a simple shutter
    and
    Determining shutter speeds

Comments are welcome in this thread.

Re: New article: guillotine shutters

Here we go once again...
    Not commenting on the unusually thick guillotine blade and the choice of its material one thing should be said - this kind of shutter condemns your camera to horizontal positions mostly. As soon as you tilt it you start to get different results. Sometimes less, sometimes more, sometime off in an unacceptable way, etc.

Even given the limitations, I think an availability of these would help many people make the leap to trying barrel lenses. The guillotine shutter is easy to understand and this one attaches with rubber bands. Mounting packards on lens boards can be intimidating and a hassle and expensive if you have to buy the packard shutter.

If I had any woodworking skills at all, I'd make some of these and loan them out to people. I suspect many people out there would love to be trying old brass barrel lenses, etc, and just don't know where or how to start with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rankin View Post

If I had any woodworking skills at all, I'd make some of these and loan them out to people. I suspect many people out there would love to be trying old brass barrel lenses, etc, and just don't know where or how to start with it.
    Richard, you don't need any woodworking skills at all. You can make the thing out of PVC sheets with many advantages over wood (better slipping, no dimensional changes when wet, easier manufacturing etc.)
    But to loan them you would need a lot of different diameters to satisfy your customers' different lenses...

And if you wanted to make a De luxe version you could put a small drop of oil between the blades to make it slip with less friction even in more inclined positions. Olive oil (extra virgin) would do...;-)

hacker extraordinaire

I would use plastic, preferably UHMW polyethylene, or cutting-board material. It is very slippery.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

Ron had this posting last year and I ordered one for my 5 1/2" wide Xenotar lens and it works well. It has a 4" Lees filter slot to put a ND or whatever filter you fancy.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=51309

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I would use plastic, preferably UHMW polyethylene, or cutting-board material. It is very slippery.
    I gather that this material is not good for filing and as Richard doesn't have woodworking skills (even less machinery for that?) it could be more difficult for him to work with...? Slippery it is, indeed.

joseph

I welcome the article-

I have a couple of Packards, I don't have a 100% successful record with them-
    they're not completely reliable, at least not in my hands...
    I prefer them rear mounted for aesthetic reasons, but then, you can never be completely sure it's worked correctly-
    and if you're photographing a person, then you don't need to be looking at a shutter when you're making an exposure-

I think there are better materials to be considered for the guillotine-
    for the drop leaf, perhaps one of the phenolic papers, like darkslide material-
    and for the guides, Oilon, or one of the other lubricated Nylon materials-

Roller bearing lined guides could be another approach, allowing for less friction for tilted shots- though that's probably overkill-

A selection of slot heights gives a selection of shutter speeds; I suppose the main requirement, just as with any other piece of kit, is repeatability, and reliability-

I think this will be at the back of my mind for only a little while, I've got a few lenses without shutters now, and although I don't have a big problem in rigging a Packard,
    its single speed (1/25 for a medium sized one, 1/15 for a big one) is a bit limiting, particularly for a fast lens-
    I don't think I'd have a problem with rigging step rings for different lenses either.
    It isn't difficult to imagine how you might fashion a release using a standard locking cable release-
    (edit- Ron, just looked at yours- yes, exactly like that one ...)

I don't think woodworking skills are needed for this project, more like craft knife skills (be sure to ask an adult) and clean gluing skills...

As I said, I welcome the article- especially for the methodology of describing and calculating the shutter speeds-

So, thank you, will be referring to it in the future-

Quote Originally Posted by jb7 View Post
    I think there are better materials to be considered for the guillotine-
    for the drop leaf, perhaps one of the phenolic papers, like darkslide material-
    and for the guides, Oilon, or one of the other lubricated Nylon materials-
    The phenolic papers would need to be well chosen. Some types are moisture absorbing and they bend in the long term.