Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Epson 7600 woes.

Re: Epson 7600 woes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob McCarthy View Post
    Sandy,

The attractiveness is based primarily on Paul Roark and his constant experimentation. he has moved the process a long way over the years I have been following him.

It is also a pure carbon ink with the benefits and detriments that implies.

Price doesn't hurt either<G>.

I have nothing negative to offer about Cones product, BTW.

Which ink set did you buy and for what paper(s)?

Bob
    Bob,

I purchased the K7 selenium set with both a matte black for printing on matte papers and another black for printing on Pictorico. I am hoping to create a profile for my carbon transfer digital negatives that can be printed with the matte black to avoid having to switch over between matte papers and Pictorico.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Are you using a custom profile that you made or had someone make after printing the target with CS4? If so, this can get you the very dark results that you describe. I have an early copy of CS4, and it prints targets too light, when you specify No Color Management. Using this profile resulted in prints that were way too dark. I ran into this with my Epson 4000, which is the 17" version of the 7600. I corrected the problem by printing my targets using CS3.

If this is the case, you could try printing a standard Epson paper like Enhanced Matte and use the Epson supplied profile that you received with the 7600.

I utilized the 7600 (i bought it new) for 2 purposes,

first, was to print banners for clients. Cheap plastic/tyvek paper and the printer was just great for that purpose. Paid for itself a couple of times over.

the second was to print photographic work. I quickly found it was a very accomplished printer on matte papers, not so on glossy. Depending on the paper, bronzing and metamarism were always an issue.

I took the printer out of service a year ago and brought it home for personnel use. What I discovered was, it did well on the then new baryta papers "if" a rip was used. Epson drivers were under-inking and killing Dmax. I played with an HP printer and found the black ink to be fantastic. I thought about the Z3200 replacing the 7600.

I've been following Paul R since my CIS days (about 6-7 years or so ago).

My thinking is: why scrap the 7600 when Paul is testing HP black inks in multi-dilutions in Epson printers with success. And furthermore, some of the hard surface matte papers were inproving and approaching glossy ie. Dmax and sharpness. In which case Eboni might just be the cats meow.

I am interested in any and all paper reports on matte papers. I am a sponge and trying to gather as much info as possible.

As I pointed out earlier, if I had time I would have reported on this rather than requesting information.

bob