Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sironar-N"MC" question

Sironar-N"MC" question

Whatever the reason, it's too bad the APO Sironar-W series is no longer made. A s wonderful as the APO Sironar-S series is (my 150mm APO Sironar-S is one of my all-time favorite 4x5 lenses), sometimes you REALLY need that extra 5 degrees of coverage. On 5x7, you get twice as much rise and shift with the 150mm APO Siro nar-W vs. the 150mm APO Sironar-S. Likewise on 8x10, the 210mm APO Sironar-N gi ves you almost no movements (3mm rise, 2mm shift) while the 210mm APO Sironar-W gives you about an inch in either direction (29mm rise, 24mm shift). Probably n ot enough for architecture, but sufficient for many landscape situations.

The only other modern, multicoated 80 degree semi-wide lenses were the Super Sym mar HM series. They were also fantastic lenses that have been discontinued afte r the introduction of the Super Symmar XL series. One advantage the APO Sironar -W series had was they were considerably lighter than the Super Symmar HM lenses in comparable focal lengths. The 150mm APO Sironar-W is about 1/2 the weight o f the 150mm Super Symmar HM (380g vs. 740g). In the 210 focal lengths, the APO Sironar-W is also significantly lighter than the Super Symmar HM (950g vs. 1510g ). While weight may not be a signifcant factor for all users, as a field photog rapher who hikes and backpacks, I'm really fond of lenses that combine great per formance, good coverage, and reasonable size and weight. It's too bad Rodenstoc k never offered an APO Sironar-W in a shorter focal length - say something in th e 110 - 120mm range. Although the coverage would not be as generous as the 110m m Super Symmar XL, it would have been adaquate for 4x5 field use, and considerab ly smaller, lighter and cheaper than the 110 SS XL (mind you, I think the 110 SS XL is a GREAT lens, but I'd be willing to sacrifice a little coverage for a sma ller, lighter, less expensive lens of comparable quality).

Well, enough dreaming. I am fortunate to own lenses from all the Rodenstock ser ies (APO Sironar-N, -S and -W). They each have a special place in my kit and I appreciate them each for their own unique qualities.

Kerry

Sironar-N"MC" question

Oops, typo in my previous post. Should have been:

Likewise on 8x10, the 210mm APO Sironar-S gives you almost no m ovements (3mm rise, 2mm shift)...

Sironar-N"MC" question

thanks for all the feedback, folks. Very informative.

Larry
    Larry Mendenhall
    www.quiet-places.com