Thread: will 65mm wide angle work on 4x5 Technika for 6x9 pix?

will 65mm wide angle work on 4x5 Technika for 6x9 pix?

I'd like to use my 4x5 Technika to shoot some 6x9 with the Roll Film Adapter. C an a 65mm lens be mounted and focused with a recessed board, or does the special W.A. focusing device have to be employed? Does the bed have to be dropped? (S orry if I'm asking a redundent question; I couldn't find it in the archives.) TI A, Bill
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

You need the WA adapter. This is used with the front standard in the camera body, Then you drob the bed all the way.

I use one without adapter, but it is difficult to focus precisely although possi ble.

Bob Soloman, why does the need arise for a wide angle adapter on the Technika when using a 65mm lens? What does the adapter do? Thanks.

A lens shorter then 75 mm on the front focusing rails, fully collapsed, in a recessed board will not focus to infinity.

The only way that it will focus properly (55 to 65mm lenses) is when it is in the camera body. As there is no focusing system inside the camera body (except for the Technika 2000) you can not accurately focus the lens. That is when you add the WA Focusing Device to the front standard and push the front standard inside the body. The lens then attaches to the WA focusing device using a Technika 23 board and the helicoid focus mechanism on the WA Focusing Device allows you to accurately focus the lens.

If thaqt still leaves questions please call us 800 735 4373 and we will try to clear up your remaing questions.

And yes I know that there are some folk who try to do this by placing the front standard inside the body and pull out the back to focus nbut this is not a very accurate way to focus and alignment is not guaranteed doing it this way.

Bob, by the way, do you know if one of the Schneider helicoid mount could be use d instead of the Linhof accessory?

I have no reports of anyone using either a Rodenstock or a schneider hrlicoid but you would have to have awfully thin and long fingers to be able to comfortably reach and turn it. Also you would possibly need multiple ones if you have more then 1 lens requiring a WA Focusing Device. Plus the WA Focusing Device focuses easily by turning the knob on its top front so finger size isn't a problem.

plus they come up on ebay all the time...
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Thanks, Bob. It's true that they show up on Ebay sometimes. They are very expens ive new. The model I have in mind comes with a small bellows, very ingenious. Is there a newer model with hel icoid tube?

All of the WA devices are a bellows device.