Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: FB Paper...suggestions?

Re: FB Paper...suggestions?

At five foot six I guess I could still try out

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Greg - I was not implying that you yourself are little league. But stating that any image
    can be printed on a single selected paper is just like competently playing chords on a piano over and over, without ever making music. Of course the labs do it because they
    need to keep overhead low and keep things moving right along. Around here they used
    to standardize on Polygrade V, but now seem to use Kentmere. Good strategy, if you're
    a lab. But some of us like to belive that ice cream comes in more flavors than just
    vanilla, and that there's a good reason for it.
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

Drew Wiley

Re: FB Paper...suggestions?

Greg - when I was little and came up to bat, the school flag flew at half mast. Baseball was the one sport I was terrible at, and the only Little League team I ever
    joined was the Indian Res one - I was double pariah both because I was the only
    white guy on the team and because, well, ... there's a reason they wanted me way,
    way out in left field, past the fence and standing amidst the cow pies. I'll agree with you that some beginners simply make things too complicated and would learn faster if they stuck to a simpler list of options in the dkrm. I've got one of those folks tagging along with me lately. But I'm an omnivore myself, and some of the very best prints I ever made were fortuitous blunders working with unfamiliar materials. It just depends on the individual temperament and budget. So I'm not particularly in sympathy with Michael Smith's doctrine that there's only one correct way to learn contact printing, or with Barnbaum's monopolistic notion of how to learn conventional silver printing. For some folks, the wolverine is a better example of how to proceed: simply devour everything in sight, digest it, and learn from experience.