Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FB Paper...suggestions?

Re: FB Paper...suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    Merg,

This information might be useful. It comes from an Ilford publication I recently received from Simon Galley at Harmon Technology (but no date given in it). It’s titled “Ilford Multigrade Papers, A Manual for the Darkroom.” Catalog #1927328. Here’s an excerpt:

OPTICAL BRIGHTENERS
    In other paper characteristics, Ilford continues to make progressive improvements to the Multigrade system. The optical brighteners that give Multigrade papers their brilliant, sparkling whites stay exactly where they are needed --- in the highlight areas of the print. All Multigrade papers, except Multigrade FB Warmtone, have anchored optical brighteners which means they won’t wash out and the paper stays white. With Multigrade FB Warmtone, the brighteners can be removed with extended washing for an even warmer base tint.
    Jerry, thank you. I was not aware of the brighteners being removed with extended washing; that is indeed good to know.

For now, I will assume that there have been no changes to the paper base since my initial use about ten years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Blank View Post
    As a good printer one should be able to accomplish the same look with any materials.
    I disagree. Materials do matter, as evidenced by the choices made by master printers.

Also, Azo would not be at the top of my list of discontinued chloride papers.

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    Adox is the new Agfa. I suggest buying a number of likely suspects in packs of 25 8x10 (i.e. small quantities) from Freestyle and make a print of a common subject for you. Pick the one you like best. Don't forget to take it through toning. Some papers respond much more to toning than others.
    Since Adox makes several papers, lets be more specific: Adox MCC 110 is the same as Agfa MCC 111 except for the paper base which is now full white instead of natural white, and a slight increase in speed. Its made based on Agfa's MCC recipe on former Agfa machines with the help of former Agfa employees. The paper base change was not Adox' decision, the old paper base was just no longer available. Actually, when Agfa Photo went bankrupt, the remaining uncoated paper stock was bought by Foma, so in terms of paper base color Foma's FB 111 was/is for a while the closest to the old MCC.

Eric Biggerstaff

Arne,

Thanks for this post! I have always liked the Foma FB 111 and now I know why. This paper, along with the Adox MC 110, are my two standard papers.

For years my standard was Ilford FB Warmtone and I still have a big supply as it is a fantastic paper and tones beautifully in Selenium 1+10.

Also, I was recently playing around with a box of Oriental VC FB which is not a paper I ever thought much of, but to my surprise it turned out to be really nice. The base is a bright white, it tones very well and has a nice surface when dry. On top of that, the price is not bad at all.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    I disagree. Materials do matter, as evidenced by the choices made by master printers.

Apologies Merg, I missed your earlier question about the paper base.

It changed sometime in the past 3-4 years, I can't tell you an exact date. However I went to the large UK trade show, Focus on Imaging, about 5 or 6 years ago just after Agfa ceased paper production and looked at all the options for a replacement for MCC, I remember a long discussion on the Ilford stand about the creamy white paper base which I didn't like at all.

The old base was a very distinct creamy white, I was told that the paper manufacturer stopped making it so Ilford had to switch to the whiter base they used for other papers.

Ian

Merg,

Out of curiosity, what would be at the top of your list for discontinued chloride papers?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post
    Merg,

Out of curiosity, what would be at the top of your list for discontinued chloride papers?

Thanks,
    John, over the years I have used five now discontinued chloride papers: Haloid (Haloid Co.), Contactone (Agfa/Gevaert), Illustrator's Azo (Kodak), Azo (Kodak) and Lustrex (GAF). Haloid and Contactone would be at the top. However, any of these papers, with special attention to choice of developer could yield fine results.

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    Apologies Merg, I missed your earlier question about the paper base.

It changed sometime in the past 3-4 years, I can't tell you an exact date. However I went to the large UK trade show, Focus on Imaging, about 5 or 6 years ago just after Agfa ceased paper production and looked at all the options for a replacement for MCC, I remember a long discussion on the Ilford stand about the creamy white paper base which I didn't like at all.

The old base was a very distinct creamy white, I was told that the paper manufacturer stopped making it so Ilford had to switch to the whiter base they used for other papers.

Ian
    Ian, thank you for that bit of information; I knew you would have the answer.

Merg

John, over the years I have used five now discontinued chloride papers: Haloid (Haloid Co.), Contactone (Agfa/Gevaert), Illustrator's Azo (Kodak), Azo (Kodak) and Lustrex (GAF). Haloid and Contactone would be at the top. However, any of these papers, with special attention to choice of developer could yield fine results.
    Thanks Merg.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

If I can get Ilford Galerie G2, that is all I need. With a little chemical trickery the contrast can be easily varied, so I see no need for a multicontrast paper.

And the tone scale of a graded paper is - supreme. MG papers don't come anywhere close, in my opinion.