Thread: Xtol/Stop/TmaxFix based BW tray processing =>> moving to Jobo 3010. What do I need?

Xtol/Stop/TmaxFix based BW tray processing =>> moving to Jobo 3010. What do I need?

I have been developing BW using Xtol and fixing them with TmaxFix. I would like to now move on to Jobo 3010 based rotary processing using a Jobo1509 manual roller base. I would like to know do I need to change any chemicals and what technique would I need to apply in terms of processing? Can I still use Xtol and TmaxFix? At what dilutions and times? I am going to developing Fomapan..

Re: Xtol/Stop/TmaxFix based BW tray processing =>> moving to Jobo 3010. What do I nee

My recomendation would be don't change anything. Xtol works very well in rotary procesing drums, if anything cut your processing time by 10% knowing that Fomapan builds contrast pretty quick.

Re: Xtol/Stop/TmaxFix based BW tray processing =>> moving to Jobo 3010. What do I nee

You need to retest your development times or apply rules of thumb like reducing normal development time by 10% as mentioned.

Don't put Photo-Flo or similar wash aid into the Jobo drums.

I suggest using the manual base in a water bath. Just use a large darkroom tray and fill it high enough so that the water level goes part-way up the back edge of the drum. The 3010 has channels that allow the external water to penetrate in inner drums and temper them.

You might need to fix some films a bit longer (I fix TMY for 6 minutes in Ilfod Hypam 1:4) so that the anti-halation layer is removed.

I know you are looking for a motor base which you will want even more after a few rounds of manual processing.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

You will need a foot air pump to get the lid off. If you can't find the Jobo pump, you can adapt a normal air pump by making something that will squeeze into the lid's fill hole.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Pedersen View Post
    My recomendation would be don't change anything. Xtol works very well in rotary procesing drums, if anything cut your processing time by 10% knowing that Fomapan builds contrast pretty quick.
    This is correct!

With Ilford HP5+ the XTOL development time was 8 minutes @ 68º C that directed reduce the time by 15%. It came out underdeveloped.

Use the full time:
    Ilford HP5+ the XTOL development time is 8 minutes @ 68º C for stock developer.
    Ilford HP5+ the XTOL development time was 9 minutes @ 68º C for replenished developer.

Steve
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    You will need a foot air pump to get the lid off. If you can't find the Jobo pump, you can adapt a normal air pump by making something that will squeeze into the lid's fill hole.

I also found it comes off easier if you fill the drum with water first.