Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Future LF shooter in Portland, Oregon

Future LF shooter in Portland, Oregon

I currently shoot with a D90 and three Nikon Fs. I'd been thinking about getting into MF and LF photography since I started shooting film again and saw the great results some friends were getting with Hasselblads and 4x5 cameras.

I found this forum while doing some research on cameras I'll be receiving next month when my parents visit for Thanksgiving and bring my grandather's camera gear that he used, mostly in studio, from the '30s through the '70s. So, in a month I'll be fiddling with a Speed Graphic, a Linhof Technika (IV or V), something called an Improved Seneca View which seems to use an odd 6.5 x 8.5 format, along with some MF gear. I'm sure I'l be looking for lots of answers in the camera and lens forums.

Can't wait. This reminds me of the weeks before Christmas when I was a kid.

Re: Future LF shooter in Portland, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by outabounds View Post
    something called an Improved Seneca View which seems to use an odd 6.5 x 8.5 format
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=67819

Welcome to group therepy! Your Grandfather's cameras were all good ones...enjoy them and enjoy the thought that he would be glad to see you putting them to good use!

Thanks for the link. I think that camera's going to need some degree of restoration, but it sounds like it'll be a grand adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Vick Vickery View Post
    Welcome to group therepy! Your Grandfather's cameras were all good ones...enjoy them and enjoy the thought that he would be glad to see you putting them to good use!
    I'll definitely be thinking of him when I use his gear.

Welcome to LF! You're entering the world of big cameras with some pretty nice hand-me-downs! Great cameras! Put them to good use!

P.S. I saw your tweet so I sent a hello to you via twitter as well.

Have fun!

Scott Davis

Another welcome from the gallery! Have fun with all that gear. The Seneca 6.5 x 8.5 (whole plate) camera is a great user camera, even with the relatively limited movements it offers. Although whole plate is a bit of an odd size, it's a great size, especially for contact printing. You can still get film for it during the annual Ilford ULF film order (now passed for this year, but some dealers may have ordered extra stock). If you get the bug before the next order comes around in the spring, you can always buy some 8x10 and cut it down. The good thing about that is you only have to set your trimmer up for one size cut, as you have to trim 1.5" from two sides of an 8x10 sheet to get to whole plate size.

Thanks all. I hadn't heard of whole plate before and did a little searching. I'm wondering, if I can't easily get film, is it likely that I'd be able to try dry plate in a camera like the Seneca?

I don't want to disappoint you but if your friends are making great photographs it isn't because they're using a Hasselblad or a 4x5 camera. It's because they're great photographers. The equipment is the least of it.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    I don't want to disappoint you but if your friends are making great photographs it isn't because they're using a Hasselblad or a 4x5 camera. It's because they're great photographers. The equipment is the least of it.
    You mean those cameras aren't magic? I'm going to be pretty disappointed if they don't compose my shots and make decisions on my depth of field, etc.

Thanks for the update, Brian.

Scott Davis

Quote Originally Posted by outabounds View Post
    Thanks all. I hadn't heard of whole plate before and did a little searching. I'm wondering, if I can't easily get film, is it likely that I'd be able to try dry plate in a camera like the Seneca?
    You certainly can if you're so inclined, but you'll need to get some dry plate holders (not hard, or expensive) and learn to coat your own dry plates (hard, and expensive). Like I said though, whole plate is just as available as 8x10- just get some 8x10 film and a rota-trim to cut it down.