Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old, REALLY Old Lenses

Foamer

Re: Old, REALLY Old Lenses

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    kent

be careful with old brass lenses
    getting them can be kind of an addiction
    LoL! It's too late. I started out last month thinking just a Petzval would do; now I think I need a wide angle too! These old lenses bring several highly attractive things together for me: they are seriously cool, they are historic, and they are finely crafted beauties! I just hope I don't start getting into wet plates now. That's what might push my wife over the edge.
    Jim G.--
    That little Darlot really looks cool, but remember I'm after something made before 1880, and kind of prefer 1850 to 1870. I'm not sure that a Darlot without a serial number would be older than 1880. For me, the "old & antiquey" look are quite important. Something from 1890 is just too modern.

You guys here are a jackpot of information! It would take me years to learn all of this.

Kent in SD

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Petzvals are the only old fast lenses - at least if you want pre-1880.

A typical Petzval will be f:3.5, while an Extra Rapid Aplanat would be f:6.5 or thereabout. But the slower speed is a result of greater coverage and lower weight for the same coverage or even focal length - a Petzval intended for 4x5" is a big long heavy monster , even if most modern users seem to want them for the swirly bits outside the real coverage.

A WA Aplanat/Rectilinear is typically f:14 to f:16.

Dear Kent in SD.
    It is obvious you are bona fide.
    But using general threads to either get hold of items or sell them IS getting around the present system of restricting commercial activity to a single thread. It is also for your protection as responders can be quite new too! However, Jim Galli cannot be considered as a newcomer!
    Welcome anyway!
    The very dark green Bergheil indicates the special de luxe model. I don't think there is much difference from the usual model in reality, though!

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Dear Kent in SD.
    Welcome anyway!
    The very dark green Bergheil indicates the special de luxe model. I don't think there is much difference from the usual model in reality, though!
    Steven--

I'm actually a pretty helpful guy. I'm not normally a trouble maker. And, I am passionate about photography and shoot almost everyday. I've never been to Denmark, but last month I spent a couple of weeks in Iceland. Best place I've ever been!! We'll probably never go back to Hawaii. As for the Bergheil DeLuxe, it seems to be a medium quality camera. It has no tilt for one thing. However, there is nothing else quite like it! The fact that the famed Parisian photographer from the 1930s, Brassai, used it was an equal attraction for me. If you've never seen Brassai's work (Paris by Night,), you might do an online search. Considering the ancient emulsions he used and relatively slow lenses, the guy was truly a master! He understood how to use Light.

Kent in SD

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Welcome to the group, Kent (even though this is clearly the wrong forum/thread to use for just a welcoming message.).

Kent, if you are ok spending a little bit, the Darlot lever stop lenses are nice and from the period you want, and have an interesting way to change apertures. They are basically the WAR design. So that we can get around the classified "rules" (which were intended to stop a vendor from joining and immediately posting dozens of for sale items, not to prevent you from buying a lens), and do the evil deed of one photographer helping another, I'll PM you if I have anything.

The Bergheil was only special, as opposed to the usually run of advanced amateur plate cameras (6x9,9x12,10x15 and 13x18cm) in that it had an interchangable lens facility and was often sold with a Heliar mounted.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    The Bergheil was only special, as opposed to the usually run of advanced amateur plate cameras (6x9,9x12,10x15 and 13x18cm) in that it had an interchangable lens facility and was often sold with a Heliar mounted.
    true - and that opens for the interesting possibility to add "new" types of lenses on it...

The Bergheil is an addictive camera! I have 3, and I am still looking out for extras...

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

I have three Bergheils too - the standard 6x9 and 9x12, and a tiny little 4.5x6. The small one does NOT have the bayonet fitting, though.

Darlot wide angles with the three aperture levers are even cooler than wheel stops.