Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More film than holders while shooting

More film than holders while shooting

Any suggestions (other than get more film holders) for the care of the exposed negatives while out with more film than one has holders? Let's say I have 50 negatives and 10 holders. And want to take more shots while out several days.

My first thought is to bring spare boxes that the film originally came in and by using a changing tent, place the negatives in those box-within-a-box to keep the exposed negatives protected.

But I'm worried about the possibility of scratches must dust/grit as they my jossle within the box while traveling.

Any thoughts?

-Robert
    RmFrase

Shen Hao TZ45IIb 4x5
    Horseman L45 4x5
    Canon 6D Mark II
    75mm, 90mm, 150mm, 210mm, 240mm
    Epson V700 Scanner

Re: More film than holders while shooting

I asked a similar question a couple of weeks ago and the consensus (as I recall) was to unload into empties. Be careful about dust. No one seemed particularly worried about scratches as the films sits in the box. I've read that some people try to shove the exposed film back into its original foil envelope, but that does seem to invite the possibility for scratching.

I keep the old film boxes complete with internal packaging. Use a changing bag/tent to swap them out. Putting the exposed film into the original packaging in the box it came inseems to work for me. The cardboard inserts inside the foil with the foil around prevent re-exposure if the box is tampered with or opened for inspection.

I keep trying to lower the weight and bulk of my field kit. Film holders are a major component. Grafmatics are only a little less bulky and do not cut weight. Only taking less stuff really works!
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I've got about 5 or 6 Kodak Boxes (box within a box) and really like that about them. I've also goto the photoflex changing room, but have never folded flat it since I bought it. just kept it zippered and covered when not used.

Thanks for the help - I'll just take several boxes with me and mark them "Exposed"
    RmFrase

Shen Hao TZ45IIb 4x5
    Horseman L45 4x5
    Canon 6D Mark II
    75mm, 90mm, 150mm, 210mm, 240mm
    Epson V700 Scanner

In my experience, film is vulnerable to scratches when it is wet (i.e., during processing) or when being mechanically transported inside a camera (generally roll films, perhaps film packs, but generally not in LF film holders. Once dry film is unloaded and stored back in a correctly-sized box, it's safe as long the box stays closed. Rocks in the box would be bad, but common airborne dust should not pose a risk.

My own solution has always been to take along a roll film back as a backup. When Agfa still made APX25 I'd shoot that in roll film and APX100 in sheet, that helped enormously when out on long trips.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by RmFrase View Post
    Any suggestions (other than get more film holders) for the care of the exposed negatives while out with more film than one has holders? Let's say I have 50 negatives and 10 holders. And want to take more shots while out several days.
    I once spent two weeks aboard a small (70 foot) catamaran in the Pacific. Each day we visited a group of islands. I brought a crown graphic, twelve film holders and 200 sheets of 4x5. I unloaded and loaded frequently using nothing more than a changing bag and the boxes the film came in from the Mfgr. Everything worked out fine. I lost one image due to mis-loading the film holder...one!

My first thought is to bring spare boxes that the film originally came in and by using a changing tent, place the negatives in those box-within-a-box to keep the exposed negatives protected.
    That's really the only way to go...other than quick loads.

But I'm worried about the possibility of scratches must dust/grit as they my jossle within the box while traveling.
    With sheet film there is always dust. You just have to get used to it and do what you can to minimize it. However, there is no reason to expect that sheets of film carefully handled would get scratched by just being in a box together...assuming of course that you're using high quality film (like Kodak, Ilford or Fuji). Sometimes the cheap stuff seems to be scratched from the factory. Cheap film is false economy. Buy the good stuff and try not to worry so much.

When I shoot a back up negative I first store each original in a film box. Each is sorted by N N-1, N-2 Compensating. Back up negatives are placed in a film mailer inside black poly envelope and I attach film exposure notes to the mailer. Mailers are available from Freestyle Photo in California. They can be found under Darkroom Supply/Dark Room Accessories/Misc. Here is the link. I do not know where these can be purchased outside of the USA.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/5857-E...x7?cat_id=1603
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

1. collect these things:

a. folding table(keep in the back of the car if tent-camping, if no campsite tables are available
    b. changing tent(preferably a harrison, something with LOTS of floor space. makes things easier IMO
    c. empty film boxes. 50sheeters work nicely, make sure you have all 3 boxes(triple-nesting). I used to use the foil bag to keep them from floating around, but have decided to say "fuggit" and just free-ball em in the box. Make sure the EMPTY box is clean before loading exposed film into it.
    d. keep your changing tent CLEAN, CLEAN CLEAN! zip it up before storing away, and give it a wipe down(inside AND out) with a DAMP cloth(lightly damp, not heavy-damp) to help keep dust down.
    e. before re-loading holders(and after downloading the film to boxes), clean the holders thoroughly.
    f. (MOST IMPORTANTLY I.M.O.): WASH YOUR HANDS before loading/unloading film. No one likes finger prints on their film .

-Dan

I have gotten high humidity static discharges between sheets of film stored in film boxes (shows up as black spots instead of the streaks one get with low humidity static discharges).

But this a the extreme case -- the exposed film was in the film boxes, on my bicycle for up to five months riding on paved and unpaved roads with lots of rain. It could also have happened to unexposed film, but there seemed to be a time factor involved -- the earlier in the trip that I exposed the film, the more likely I was to have the static discharges. I worked my way from the North Island down to the South Island -- all damaged negs were from the North Island (the first 2.5 months of the trip.)

Two things might have prevented this: 1) use the paper between the film that Ilford use to use between sheets in the normal packaging, and/or 2) Put something in the box (paper, etc) that would have kept the film from moving at all in the box.

Both of the above may be useful for you.

Vaughn