Thread: Seal 200 Commercial press

Seal 200 Commercial press

I'm wondering what the collective wisdom thinks of the old Seal 200 Commercial d ry mount press for flattening my LF prints and mounting my fiber-based 16x20 pri nts for exhibition. I just got ebayed by one(non-working but looks complete) fo r $104.I've been told that parts are still available and it dosen't seem like it would be all that difficult to repair. Am I too much of an optomist? Any quir ks particular to this machine I should watch for? (like electrocution?) Thanks!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

John -

As someone pointed out, a dry mount press is basically a giant waffle iron...not much to go wrong. If it doesn't work, it's because the heating element or the thermostat is broken.

Hunt Corporation still sells theremostats for the Model 200 (I know this because I have one). Call 888-240-6021 ext. 5304 and ask for Wendy. She'll fix you up.

John: The biggest danger is blowing out your back when you pick it up. These last forever. That are, literally, just like a one sided waffle iron electrically and just about any appliance repair shop can handle this. Assuming you are reasonably familiar with electrical appliances and precautions to take, you can probably fix it yourself. If it were me, I'd proceed as follows: (1) Unit unplugged, does the switch work? Most likely thing to go bad is probably the switch. You need an continuity tester, an ohm meter or just a light bulb and a battery (2) Does power get through the thermostat? Check this unplugged as well (3)Still unplugged, is there continuity in the heating coil? This could have oxidized and broken. I think all these parts are still available, and since flat is still flat and heat is still heat, you should be able to fix it fairly cheaply and it should work as well as the day it was made. Good luck. If you're not comfortable with fixing it yourself, take it somewhere, this won't take a pro much time at all.

Thanks for all the great advice! From the responses it sounds like I can make the repairs myself. Thanks especially to Kevin who e-mailed the Seal troubleshooting guide. This forum is the best!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Seal 200 Commercial press

I know I'm 17 years late to the party, but I have a Seal 210 (circa 1974) that started overheating, then one day started to smoke. Recently, I thought I would try it again with an old VariAC I have kicking around, but now all that functions is the power light...
    After taking it apart, I discovered this melted sheath of wires. It looks like there's some sort of resister in it, plus it looks like the top was at one point, glued/welded to a stud that's bolted to the frame. I thought all that was in there is a switch, thermostat and sensor. What is this thing and can I do without it? Also, do you think I could use this method instead?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191114_203041.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	197424Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-11-14-20.45.33.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	197423

Seal is still in business... they were taken over about ten years back, and sadly I can't recall which company bought them up. But a search around might help you find a wiring diagram or some service help. Generally speaking they did things for a reason...

Drew Wiley

Dave - you probably need a new thermostat. Expect to pay around $100. Plus rewiring. Use high temp "engine" or "truck" wire. I don't know about that inexpensive temp monitoring device you linked - I'd want to see a track record of reliability over the long haul, and not a fire truck instead! I've seen some alarmingly substandard wiring in cheap devices coming from China. I'm not saying that's the case in this instance, but it's a distinct possibility. Some of these do-it-yourself web videos scare the heck out of me. It's hard to see everything in the background in this video, but if what looks like his actual power line plugged into an office-style outlet strip is in fact that, it's spooky substandard. Drymount presses are obviously high-wattage devices. ... Not related to photography, but I recently saw one of these web videos with a fellow explaining how to save money edging concrete panel by using a handheld ordinary router with his wife holding the water hose running water over the material right at the tool. To add frosting to this cake - no protective eyewear or rubber gloves either. No brains either.

@DrewWiley

Eesch!

From what I'm finding out, it's a "thermistor" that has gone bad. So the trick is to fine a new one...

Drew Wiley

Wholesale picture frame suppliers routinely carry Seal press parts. Otherwise, for a sub-component, locate a real old-fashioned solder-gun electronics store.

Robert Bowring

Wiring diagram and parts list for Seal 210 and 210M

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img128.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	197449Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img129.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	197450Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img130.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	197451Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img127.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	197448Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img128.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	197449Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img129.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	197450Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img130.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	197451