Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shen-Hao TFC45-I = Ebony SW45 Clone?

Shen-Hao TFC45-I = Ebony SW45 Clone?

Paul Owen is right. You do get what you pay for. But don't forget that many times a significant portion of what you're paying is for the name. All things being equal, I'd rather have an Ebony, but for me, all things (especially the price) aren't equal, so I've got a Shen Hao. In the end, the decision is yours.

DW

I agree with you Dave, but a great many people buy into a "name" because of the quality that goes with it (Linhof, Toyo, Canham, etc). If brand X camera was not up to much - then no one would buy it. Usually a "name" signifies a level of quality! BUT, the best camera is the one you have with you! I count myself fortunate that I use an Ebony - I bought the best I could afford - but then I don't drink or smoke so I diverted funds elsewhere and the Ebony is my "luxury". It sounds as if the Shen-Hao is a great camera, for the price - and if its the camera you can afford then get it. There was a short, but glowing review on one of the Shen-Hao's in a recent edition of "View Camera" After all, if it is modelled on the Ebony, it should be good!!

Thanks for all the replies. I won't be buying this guy unless I can play with it first.

The question of how much to spend is a tough one for me personally. I have the means to buy an Ebony, but as an amateur/hobbiest, it kind of seems like overkill. I doubt it would improve the results, though I'm sure it would improve the experience. Don't get me wrong, the experience is important to me; I just don't want to be like those guys who buys an SUV to drive to the supermarket...

CXC

Chris, Not wanting to be seen to be "prolonging" the life of this posting, I do feel that you maybe missing the point! Why do you feel that owning an Ebony would be overkill? Expensive - perhaps - you can buy cheaper, but the "experience" is worth the extra outlay. Despite the "myths", Ebony cameras are "basic" - the SW I use has "limited" movements when compared to some cheaper cameras, but the build quality is exemplary. It will outlast me!! I see where you're coming from with the analogy to SUVs and supermarket trips, but surely these drivers own vehicles that are intended for one type of use but put to another. Who needs 4x4 to go shopping? My Ebony has the movements I need, the quality I appreciate and is a real pleasure to use. I am an amateur in the truest sense - but having a "nice" camera makes shooting LF a pleasure not a chore! The long trudge to a location, laden down with gear and tripod is eased somewhat when I fix my ideal camera to the head and get under the cloth! PLEASE don't think of me as a snob!! The "my camera is better than yours" brigade are a personal bug of mine, I chose to invest in an Ebony, not as a status symbol, but as part of the LF experience! And because of the SMELL!!!!! Regards Paul

Paul, thanks for your opinion, you sure make the Ebony sound wonderful. Your point is well taken that these two cameras are designed to do the same thing, so the SUV analogy is bogus. A better example would be a middle-aged overweight guy buying $250 Nike marathon shoes to run half a mile a day, when the $15 PayLess sneakers would be perfectly adequate.

Anyways I am not buying anything till I touch the Shen-Hao in Shanghai.

CXC

Do people really pay that much for sneakers!! ;-) Good luck in Shanghai - let us all know how you get on with the Shen-Hao

As a direct result of feedback from Paul and other Ebony aficionados on this board, I recently purchased an Ebony 45S - my first large format. I must agree that these cameras are everything people say they are - the camera is light, very rigid, movements are smooth and the workmanship is outstanding. However - it's lenses, film and good exposures that create great images. The Ebony is probably the best built wooden field camera ever, but not everybody can afford one. If you're on a limited budget, sink your money into good glass instead. You can always upgrade to a better camera later. The only thing I would caution you about on the Shen-Hao is service. Being in Shanghai, you may not be able to get replacement parts or service from the company if anything goes wrong.

There is something to said for pride of ownership. If you have the means, get the Ebony. Down the road you may ask yourself: Why didn't I just get the "---------" in the first place instead of a copy of the real deal? I have owned several different makes and models of view cameras over the years and have recently settled on an Ebony 45SU; yes it was expensive but as a final purchase I will be very happy and through the years I will forget about the purchase price and just enjoy using the camera. Quality usually has it's financial cost but in the end it is worth it. A Volkswagen Karmann Ghia and a Porsche 911 were both cut from the same basic cloth so to speak, which would you rather have?

I think that someday if I got the Ebony the main reason would be for the U-back. I would like a 5x7...but $6400.00 ,jeez ...I could buy land up north for that!

Paul is right that many times, the well established, higher priced brands bring known quality with them. The quality and security are important to consider. Ebony cameras, Snap-on tools, whatever your personal thing is. I paid more for my Honda than I would have for a Kia, but the quality and security were worth more than the increased cost.

I'll bet that you could buy the Shen Hao in Shang Hai, use it for a while, and if you don't like it, fleabay it for at least what you paid. If you called it rare, you might even get twice what you paid.

Parts and repair are something to think about, and I gave that some thought when I bought the Shen Hao. But I decided that if something broke, I could work around it or probably find someone around who could fabricate what I need.

DW