Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tachihara vs. Wista/Zone VI

Re: Tachihara vs. Wista/Zone VI

I own a couple Wista DXs (as well as a Woodman and a late model Zone VI) in my "woodie" aresenal. The Woodman is my European camera and lives there. In the US, where I do mostly outdoor photography and lots of hiking, scrambling, etc., I tend to use the Wista most due to its light weight.

The Woodman, I believe is much like the Tachihara. It is a good a serviceable camera, but will not take recessed lens boards (due to interference with the bellows) and will not fold up with a lens inside the camera body. The Wista does both of these things, which are real advantages when 1) using wide lenses (I use 90mm and 75mm a lot). 2) hiking with a small kit.

Hope this helps some

Doremus Scudder

65 on Tachi will compress the bellows to the point that no movements will be possible (I know, the 65 lenses on the market do not offer too much movements anyhow) 210 will be fine.

I use 75, 125, 240 adn 400 (tele) lenses. The 240 is easy, but it is the small and light Fujinon 240/9. The 400/8 is from Osaka - 0.5 kg heavy telephoto lens that requires some 260 mm of extension when focused to infinity - one needs to be careful there are if any shake is introduced it takes a few seconds for the camera to stabilize (no, it is not a wobbly tripod or head).

In general the Tachi should do fine for the purpose intended. The simplicity was mentioned above and I have to admit that it is an advantage as you do not have too many controls to use (or eventually forget).

I do consider to swap the Tachi for something like Toyo 125VX for a bit more stability and precision as I seem to be shooting more in the cities recently and I would like to get more freedom with wide angle lenses. Still - for travel and hiking the Tachi is all one needs.
    Matus

Foamer

To confuse things even more, the first Wista VI were made by Tachichara!

Kent in SD