Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: dumping 8x10 and sticking with 4x5. anyone regret?

Re: dumping 8x10 and sticking with 4x5. anyone regret?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Lum View Post
    Would Burtynsky's work be any better if he shot with an 8x10 ?
    Yes. I think he prints 4x5 too large.

If he does use 8x10, he definitely also uses 4x5. The recent-ish documentary on him shows him shooting 4x5 exclusively. I can't imagine going to all of that trouble and expense to set up a shoot and then burning 4x5 rather than 8x10. It's not like he has to backpack the camera!

Of course, his prints look fine, but they would look that much better (400% to be exact) if he ditched 4x5.

I dunno. I've seen his prints up close and they look fine to me. Of course, I've been using my Mamiya 6's more since I haven't been as motivated to haul out the big toys lately. But yeah, a 4x5 contact pales beside an 8x10 or 7x17
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

I think Burtynsky's prints look very good, I've seen them a few times.

A few years ago I saw a show by an established master of 8x10 color photography, and many of the 32x40-ish prints were just ever-so-slightly soft. They were optical c-prints so it's possible that the softness was due to the enlarging process, but I doubt it since a photographer of that stature can surely have access to the best printers. I'd rather not name the photographer, but the show was at a large, established Chelsea gallery.

Despite the softness of some of the prints, the photographs were still beautiful and interesting. Same for Burtynsky's. While grain can creep in at his huge prints from 4x5, to me it doesn't detract one bit if the photograph is interesting to begin with.

I guess a lot of people around here wouldn't like my 32x40in prints from 6x7. Sure, they show some grain, but there is an incredible amount of detail and a nice tonality.

I feel like this thread has gotten off topic a bit. The OP asked if anyone regretted dumping 8x10 for 4x5...not which format was higher quality. Clearly 8x10 offers more technical quality, but it also has downsides (relevant to some of us) of cost, size (not just the camera but you need a bigger tripod, huge film holders, etc.), depth-of-field/shutter speed issues, etc.

I was actually considering leaving 8x10 and sticking with 4x5 and 7x17 but see no rush to do so. I really do love working with the 8x10 and if I had the funds right now, would get a Ritter with backs for 8x10 and 7x17.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...