Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: XTOL compliants and problems?

Re: XTOL compliants and problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Decker View Post
    That's right, I want you to share your bad experience with XTOL.
    Can't.

I've been using XTOL for five years or more, with nothing but sterling results. Best developer I've used, no question.

Bruce Watson

Its time to buy some Xtol now.

I have used Xtol off and on for several years and really wanted to like it, but never thought it was all that terrific. Then I tried it with replenishing and now I REALLY like it–especially with TMY-2. I urge everyone who is currently using Xtol, or wants to try it, to replenish. It's easy, economical, and gives great results. It's sharper with nicer tonality than when used diluted.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    I have used Xtol off and on for several years and really wanted to like it, but never thought it was all that terrific. Then I tried it with replenishing and now I REALLY like it–especially with TMY-2. I urge everyone who is currently using Xtol, or wants to try it, to replenish. It's easy, economical, and gives great results. It's sharper with nicer tonality than when used diluted.
    Hi Richard,
    I would posit that what you are seeing is stronger, more active, development and the concomitant extra contrast. If the replenishment measurements are correct, the "with and without" replenishment results should match exactly.

Lenny

Lenny,

You of course could be right, I don't run tests, but make judgments from trial and error. Lots of error. However, the negatives I have been currently printing are in many cases less contrasty than ones I processed using Xtol 1:1 or 1:2. All I can really say is that the prints are nicer (or at least I like them better) with replenished Xtol and I am very happy. They have finer grain, appear to have greater acutance, and I like the tonality a lot. What more do I need? Most of my experience so far is with smaller formats–6x7 and some 35mm, although I've started messing around with 4x5 too. I'll leave it to others who are more inclined to run tests to figure out what is going on.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Barendt View Post
    I attended a workshop and one evening our fearless leader provided the Pyro and managed our use of same.

As he was showing me how to mix my batch of the Pyro right before use he said "careful with this one, it's the one that can kill you".

Never heard that said about Xtol.
    Photographers have been using Pyro developers for well over 150 years. I am not aware of a single death that has ever been attributed to their use, or for that matter even a single serious illness. Yes, a person might die if he/she were stupid enough to eat the powder pyrogallol or pyrocatechol chemical, or drink enough of the liquid developer. But short of that the major issue with pyro developers is dermatological irritations, which can easily be resolved by use of gloves for those who develop in trays. Not even that precaution is necessary for those who develop in tanks or drums.

Compared to most developers Xtol offers a slight increase in effective film speed and very fine grain. But IMHO several Pyro formulas give greater image sharpness.

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon