Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: XTOL compliants and problems?

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Re: XTOL compliants and problems?

Jim,

That could happen with any developer, powered or liquid.

When? Back in the early days of XTOL? If so that problem has been taken care of.

Steve
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Great developer undiluted that I have used for years with and without replenishment. Undiluted replenished XTOL gives the best results.

The only problem that I have had was using the JOBO processor and the 3010 drum with replenished XTOL, was that the recommended 15% reduction in time was too agressive when I used it on HP5+. Use the time for 20 degrees C 8 minutes plus 1 minute for the replenishment = 9 minutes on the Ilford website and use the full 9 minutes, do not reduce the time.

Steve
    Steve,

I'm a bit confused by your comment... do you mean that undiluted replenished XTOL gives better results than fresh XTOL? I'm a one-shot chemistry guy so I don't generally replenish everything. If you were using fresh stock XTOL in the Jobo would you run the full 8 minutes?

Thanks,

John IV

I second pyrocat-hd. It's been my main developer for years.

Quote Originally Posted by jdaivpmed View Post
    do you mean that undiluted replenished XTOL gives better results than fresh XTOL?
    My experience is like Steve's in this sense. Yes Replenished Xtol is better.

The only problem I have ever had with Xtol was my own ineptitude.
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. ~ Mark Twain

multiplex

i used to use xtol undilute / replenished as well as single shot undilute / dilute
    but i never really liked it. it seemed that i always had to over develop my film
    to get halfway decent contrast. the developer was OK i guess, one could over develop by 30%
    without worry of blocked highlights ... i did have premature death when i used it dilute
    but i was foolish enough to dilute it beyond 1:3 as the (old/original) datasheets
    used to suggest to do .... i eventually gave up on it (around the same time i gave up tanks and hangers. )
    other developers like sprint film developer allow for over development without blocked highlights
    and can be used in a replenished system or single shot ... and give great results ... i just got tired of thin film ...

YMMV

Diluted 1:3 and stored for 13+ months may make it one of the most economical developers. The German Xtol data book is where I started. Tweaked the times a bit to offset the variable temperatures in my apartment.
    Xtol has done nothing bad for me.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Xtol's a great developer, I used it from it's release until last year always replenished. I only stopped using it because of traveling between two locations and leaving stock for months on a time usually about 6 months.

In terms of keeping it's no better or worse than any other powder developers like ID-11/D76, Perceptol etc.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    ... i just got tired of thin film ...

YMMV
    Thin? I've never had a problem, but I ran film tests when I first started using it.

Let's see - I'm supposed to say something bad about XTOL. Hmmm. The price went up! But it's still inexpensive!

hacker extraordinaire

When I developed film from my latest vacation, I accidentally developed a roll of Tri-X 400 in Xtol instead of Diafine. I shoot it in my P&S camera with the meter set on 1600, and usually develop it in Diafine. I was surprised how well the negs came out with a normal (not 'pushed') development time in Xtol 1+1. I might start using Xtol instead of Diafine.

Basically, Xtol is just so good at everything it's gradually taking over all my other specialty developers. Kind of how TMAX 400 is so good at everything it's gradually taking over all my other films in all my formats. Cost is a concern in both cases...I use replenished D23 for sheet film because it's cheap, but then people replenish Xtol...
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.