Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: XTOL compliants and problems?

Re: XTOL compliants and problems?

It's a first rate developer and I have been using it for years as my main "conventional" developer. Films sing in xtol 1+1. Just be sure to use the required volume when diluting.

I use Xtol 1:1 as my main developer. I don't have much bad to say about it.

It mixes OK but sometimes there are little undissolved bits. I use a magnetic stirrer so I can't complain too much.

Also, it needs time. Short development times for contraction can be erratic

Nothing bad to say here about XTOL. In my brief history processing my own B&W film (120 and 8x10), using XTOL 1:1 has been very reliable. The biggest mistake I made with the first mixed batch was using the bulk of the developer within a week and letting the small amount at bottom oxidize for two months . Attention to detail when mixing and limiting oxygen exposure should give it plenty of life.

Great developer.
    Just use it.

I used it for many years, both the one litre and five litre packages. I never experienced the dreaded "Xtol failure". I always mixed the stock and working solutions with distilled water (one less variable to worry about.)

I used half-litre brown glass bottles (filled to brim and sealed with Saran Wrap under the cap) and have had them last up to 13 months in the fridge. I might have lasted longer, but I ran out - it was a slow year.

I mostly used it at the 1+3 dilution - ALWAYS ensuring I met Kodak's minimum STOCK recommendations. I used it for 35mm through 4x5 (Acros and the TMaxes mostly) and only stopped when I started using Pyrocat HD a few years ago. (Acros at night at 1+3 - wonderful!)

I too used Xtol for years, mainly at 1 + 2 and 1 +3. I really like it. My film developing is more intermittent now, though, and so I've switched to Pyrocat MC in glycol, mainly for it's keeping properties.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

A number of members have mentioned X-tol failure and/or bad packaging, I'm in this camp from personal experience, and that is last time I used the developer . I could not find a comfort zone on a product that has failed for me in such a critical area (I have enough variables) so I switched. I went Pyro-PMK (liquid contents, no air borne dust or undissolved contents) and have been very happy. I look back at previous negs with satisfaction but not enough to commit my time in the field to jeopardize.
    Respectfully,

Peter.

I have recently started using Xtol replenished,which was a leap of faith on my part,as I had,like many users on this forum,always used the standard D76/ID-11 at 1:1 to 1:3 dilutions.
    Test was a 36exp roll of Fuji NP400 developed in Xtol 1:1,as is my wont,and a clip test in stock developer.
    No contest at all : the stock result was most convincing : improved acutance and a very slightly lower contrast negative, probably half a grade.
    Subject blique sunlight on a textured surface/55/2.8 MicroNikkor,bracketed -1 to + 1f.
    Test printed at magnification equivalent to 16in wide enlargement.
    Not what I expected at all : but well worth the trouble,and the economy of use is very welcome for a multi-format user.
    Blame the folks at Apug for making me think outside the square..

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Great developer undiluted that I have used for years with and without replenishment. Undiluted replenished XTOL gives the best results.

The only problem that I have had was using the JOBO processor and the 3010 drum with replenished XTOL, was that the recommended 15% reduction in time was too agressive when I used it on HP5+. Use the time for 20 degrees C 8 minutes plus 1 minute for the replenishment = 9 minutes on the Ilford website and use the full 9 minutes, do not reduce the time.

Steve
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

I have had it go bad in an unopened package so I threw the other packages away and refuse to use it.